Inspire Education's news

Work Health and Safety Career Guide

6 Comments   Posted:   by

Work Health and Safety Career Guide

What is a Health and Safety Professional?

A work health and safety professional is a person trained in Work Health and Safety (WHS) practices and regulations. They design, develop, implement and analyse WHS programs. WHS professionals ensure safe and healthy working conditions in workplaces, assist injured staff through the compensation and rehabilitation process or workers and ensure compliance with WHS legislation.

What Does a WHS Professional Do?

WHS professionals can complete a range of tasks:

  • • Identifying hazards, and assessing and controlling risks in the workplace.
  • • Designing, developing, implementing and analysing work health and safety plans.
  • • Training employees in correct use of personal protective equipment and safe working procedures.
  • What does a work health and safety professional do?• Recording, reporting and investigating workplace injuries and equipment damage.
  • • Reporting safety performance.
  • • Coordinating injured workers’ return to the workforce.
  • • Inspecting and auditing workplaces, plants, processes, and hazards (physical and chemical) for compliance with legislation.
  • • Supporting the application of ergonomic principles in the workplace through practices such as matching the correct furniture, equipment and workplace activities to the needs of employees.
  • • Writing internal safety policies, bulletins and newsletters.
  • • Keeping up to date with the latest news, technology and legislation affecting the WHS industry.
  • • Liaising with relevant authorities.

What Skills, Knowledge and Abilities are Required?

  • • Calm, patient and assertive
  • • Excellent negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills
  • • Excellent listening skills
  • • Strong analytical abilities
  • • Relevant work experience
  • • Computer literate
  • • Physical fitness
  • • Able to learn and apply detailed legal, technical and regulatory information

Profile of the Health and Safety Industry in Australia

There are nearly 30,000 people employed as occupational and environmental health professionals in Australia. Work health and safety skills are also highly desirable and useful in professions such as management or human resources, or can be used in nearly any role in any industry where health and safety is important.

Work health and safety skills are sought after by Australian employersNearly 60 per cent of environmental health and WHS professionals are male. Women make up a little over 40 per cent of the workforce and more than three quarters of women work full time. The average full time employee works a little over 42 hours per week. There is expected to be average growth in this field over the next few years, with between 10,000 and 25,000 job openings in the five years until 2017.

The median age of people in this profession is 42 years (slightly above the median age in all professions, 40). About 30 per cent of workers are aged 25-34, around 23 per cent are 35-44 and another 28 per cent are aged 45-54.

Health and safety is a fairly highly trained and skilled profession. Over 40 per cent of the workforce has a Certificate III, Certificate IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma qualification. Another 40 per cent has a Bachelor Degree, Graduate or Postgraduate Diploma, or Graduate Certificate.

What Qualifications are Required to Become a WHS Professional?

The Cert IV in WHS is the national qualification needed to have a career in WHSThere are no mandatory qualifications to work in the health and safety field. Qualifications such as the Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety are commonly considered the minimum formal training requirement to hold many WHS roles. Higher level qualifications like the Diploma of Work Health and Safety can be a major asset when seeking employment in this field, particularly if you are trying to enter the industry with limited experience.

Qualifications such as the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (or similar training skills) can be an asset for health and safety professionals, particularly for inducting and training employees in safety.

After completing you Certificate IV or Diploma of Work Health and Safety, it is possible to continue your training with more advanced vocational qualifications or undergraduate and postgraduate study at university. These qualifications may be highly desirable or required to hold senior positions in safety management, particularly in large organisations.

Where do WHS Professionals Work?

WHS professionals are essential in many industries in Australia. Health and safety advisors may be employed by many public and private sector organisations, including hospitals, hotels, restaurants, local authorities, construction or engineering companies, colleges, universities, police forces, the defence forces, food processing and packaging plants, mining companies, oil and gas companies, manufacturers, government departments and large private companies.

What are the Normal Working Conditions?

Work health and safety professionals have varying work conditionsWorkplace health and safety professionals are active in the workplace. You may work alone or as part of a health and safety team. You’ll be working closely with people on a regular basis to perform tasks such as inducting and training employees in safe practices and personal protective equipment.

Safety professionals can work in an office environment but will likely also be called out into the field in order to inspect worksites, conduct audits such as noise testing, and carry out risk assessments. You may also need to act as a middleman between regulators and the people working on a job site.

What Tools, Technology and Other Equipment are Used?

  • • Computer
  • • Phone
  • • Email
  • • Audio Recordings
  • • Video Recordings
  • • Personal Protective Equipment
  • • Testing and Auditing Tools (eg. Sound Level Meter)
  • • Mobile devices (phones + tablets) with apps

What are Common Job Titles in Work Health and Safety?

  • • Compliance Investigator
  • • Corporate Safety Director
  • • Director of Safety and Wellness
  • • Environment Protection Specialist
  • • Environment, Health and Safety Manager
  • • Environmental Health and Safety Delivery Specialist
  • Common jobs in Work Health and Safety include safety officers and compliance investigators• Environmental Health and Safety Engineer
  • • Environmental Health and Safety Manager
  • • Environmental Health Specialist
  • • Environmental Protection Specialist
  • • Environmental Quality Analyst
  • • Environmental Scientist
  • • Ergonomist
  • • Field Safety Officer
  • • Food Safety Auditor
  • • Food Safety Officer
  • • Health and Safety Manager
  • • Health Inspector
  • • Health Surveyor
  • • Industrial Hygiene/Safety Engineer
  • • Industrial Hygienist
  • • Infection Control Practitioner
  • • Injury/Safety Hazard Assessment
  • • Occupational Health and Safety Controller
  • • Primary Products Inspector
  • • Safety Advisor
  • • Safety Director
  • • Safety Engineer
  • • Safety Inspector
  • • Safety Officer
  • • Safety Technician

Should You Consider Becoming a WHS Professional?

There are many reasons why you would choose to become a safety professional:

  • A work health and safety career is ideal for those with analytical minds• You might be born with a passion for keeping other safe and healthy, making WHS a natural career choice for you.
  • • Perhaps you have an analytical mind; the challenge of finding risks and eliminating them in such a high stakes scenario appeals to you.
  • • You feel like your natural abilities fit perfectly with a career in safety.
  • • You may simply want the potential to earn a great income while doing something good and positive in the world.

If any of those sound like you, it’s worth looking at a career in safety. As long as you’re willing to put in the effort and be great at your job, your motivation is less important than your results.

There are some personal traits like empathy, people skills, speaking skills, integrity, honesty, courage and critical thinking which fit perfectly with the demands of a safety career. If you possess some of those traits, they will stand you in good stead as a WHS professional.

It also helps if you have operations knowledge in your industry. That means you’ve spent time actually working in a hands-on, front line role so you can draw from real experience when you’re making decisions that affect the way people work on site. Management experience is an advantage too.

What is a WHS Professional Paid?

Work health and safety professionals working full time (grouped together with environment health professionals) earn approximately $1600 per week on average, before tax (as of August 2012).

What Other Resources are Available?

Source: Job Outlook – Occupational & Environmental Health Professionals


The following two tabs change content below.
William Cowie

William Cowie

William Cowie

Latest posts by William Cowie (see all)

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.


There’s 6 comments (add a comment)

  • David Tong says:

    How much the course cost for Cert IV and Dip?

    • William Cowie William Cowie says:

      Hi David,

      The Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety is currently on special from just $690 ($300 saving over normal price) and the Diploma of Work Health and Safety is only $1390 ($400 discount over regular price). These prices are only valid 1 more day, ‘Study Now’ sale ends 20th November 2014!

      Visit the course pages now and request a free information pack for all the details and full range of delivery and pricing options:

      Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
      Diploma of Work Health and Safety

  • Katrina says:

    I have been told by people working in this industry that you need to complete a separate course ‘Rehabilitation Return to Work Coordinator’ even if you have completed the Certificate IV WHS BSB41412. I believed that this course is an element of the Cert IV WHS – Am I correct or is a separate course still required?

    • William Cowie William Cowie says:

      Hi Katrina,

      It would depend on what type of role you plan to do and where you plan to work. Are you planning to become a Rehabilitation and Return to Work Coordinator? In Queensland, for example, “as a result of recent legislative changes to the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2013, Rehabilitation and Return to Work Coordinators (RRTWC) no longer required to be accredited to carry out their roles. It is now the responsibility of the employer to ascertain that an individual employee is ‘appropriately qualified’ to carry out a RRTWC role in the context of the environment they are working in.” – source.

      There is a Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety course unit dedicated to this topic: BSBWHS407A – Assist with claims management, rehabilitation and return-to-work programs. It is an elective unit, so not all Cert IV WHS courses include it (ours does not). Some RTOs offer this as a standalone unit.

      If you’re studying with us, please contact your trainer as they are much more qualified and better able to provide advice about the intricacies of the WHS industry than me. You may also contact potential employers to see which qualifications they would like to you hold, or research online to find out the requirements in your state or territory.



  • Akshay Bhujbal says:

    How is the course structure for an international student?

Leave a Reply to Katrina

Click here to cancel reply.


Could you please amend the form? We’ve highlighted the problem(s) for you...