Inspire Education's news
Work Health and Safety Qualifications — Know What It Takes to Get In
It is quite clear that Work Health and Safety is already a booming industry in Australia today.
It is one of the best industries to secure a career on, considering its success in Australia and its high demand for WHS workers.
If you want to grab the opportunity to work in one of Australia’s largest industries today, then the first thing you need to know is how to get qualified in the Work Health and Safety industry. One of the ways is studying the necessary courses for your qualification.
I. Course Qualifications for WHS
The requirements to study a course in Work Health and Safety depends on what WHS course you want to take.
There are two courses you can choose from:
1. The Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
2. The Diploma in Work Health and Safety
The Cert IV in WHS has no formal pre-requisites needed, however, it is highly recommended that participants have access to a workplace to complete the assessments. Additionally, it is preferable that students:
- ▪ Are 18 years or older
- ▪ Have sound language and literacy skills (at least year 10 or equivalent)
- ▪ Hold a BSB30712 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety OR another relevant Certificate III qualification OR some industry experience in a WHS role.
- ▪ Has basic computer skills
- ▪ Obtain a Unique Student Identifier (USI)
On the other hand, there are pre-requisites for the Diploma in WHS. Participants must hold a qualification/Statement of Attainment with the 5 core units from the Cert IV WHS BSB41415 or equivalent, being:
- ▪ BSBWHS402 – Assist with compliance with WHS law
- ▪ BSBWHS403 – Contribute to the implementation and maintenance of a WHS consultation and participation process
- ▪ BSBWHS404 – Contribute to the WHS hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control activities
- ▪ BSBWHS405 – Contribute to the implementation and maintenance of a WHS management system
- ▪ BSBWHS406 – Assist with responding to incidents
Also, the Diploma in Work Health and Safety has pre-entry requirements. To enrol in this course, you must be an Australian Citizen or a Permanent Resident. Participants should also have access to, and at the same time, be proficient at utilizing the following:
- ▪ A Computer with internet connection to complete and lodge online assessments via a Student Portal
- ▪ Microsoft Office with MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint for document creation
- ▪ Adobe Acrobat Reader
- ▪ An email account
Got questions in mind? Feel free to click here and enquire now to know more about Work Health and Safety course and qualifications.
II. Qualification Pathways
After completing the Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety, learners can opt to continue their studies with the Diploma of Work Health and Safety.
Once enrolled, learners can also consider additional training to complement their health and safety skills with the following courses:
- ▪ BSB414515 Certificate IV in Project Management Practice
- Ideal for anyone looking to work within the context of managing projects.
- ▪ BSB41015 Certificate IV in Human Resources
- Ideal for anyone looking to combine workplace safety with human resource functions.
- ▪ BSB40515 Certificate IV in Business Administration
- Ideal for anyone looking to work in an administration role.
- ▪ TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
- Ideal for anyone looking to conduct training in WHS.
You can choose from either Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety or Diploma of Work Health and Safety as your course of study for you to gain qualification into the WHS industry.
Each course has its own pre-requisites, so please be mindful of those so you can start your studies smoothly.
If you have more questions regarding Work Health and Safety courses, feel free to click here and enquire now to get the latest information and updates.
Latest posts by Jao Tabuzo (see all)
- Certificate III in Business Administration Jobs: A Guide for Your Career Path - October 15, 2018
- Cert IV Disability Jobs: Where Can You Take Your Skills in Providing Care and Support? - October 15, 2018
- 4 Things to Know About Studying the Certificate III in Business Administration Online Course - October 11, 2018