Inspire Education's news

What do Vocational Education Teachers do?

14 Comments   Posted:   by

What do Vocational Education Teachers do?

Are you looking for a career as a teacher, trainer or assessor?

The Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector is one of the biggest providers of education in Australia. In fact, almost 1.5 million Australians participate in a VET program each year according to the 2015 Report on Government Services.

VET is known as one of the most effective ways to prepare for a job. It is designed to teach you the exact skills and knowledge you need to do a job, making the jump from study to work as easy as possible.

On average, around 60% of VET graduates in Australia receive job-related benefits like gaining new employment or being promoted to a higher skill level. This means that if you are trying to find work, studying a certificate or diploma qualification is one of the most effective ways to to improve your chances.

Someone has to provide that training though. Vocational Education Teachers in Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutes are a big part of this whole system. If you have experience working in one or more industries, this might be the next career path for you. But what exactly does a vocational education teacher do?

Job Description for Vocational Education Teachers

Job Description for Vocational Education TeachersVocational Education Teachers are also called TAFE Teachers or Lecturers. Generally, they are in charge of facilitating training courses that help people find employment.

To do this, they have a number of tasks and duties like:

  • Creating learning resources according to the needs of their students
  • Designing course curriculum
  • Providing training on how to use learning materials
  • Facilitating learning sessions online or face to face
  • Grading the work of their students and giving feedback
  • Assessing whether students are competent in practical work skills

Some of the most useful skills and abilities to have in this career are:

  • Instructing and knowing which learning strategy to use
  • Monitoring the performance of groups and individuals
  • Expressing yourself verbally and on paper
  • Being sensitive to problems your students may have
  • Interacting with people with diverse backgrounds and age groups

How to Become a Vocational Education and Training or TAFE Teacher

The first step you should make is to get qualified.

You need the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment before you can train for nationally accredited courses. This is the minimum requirement for positions at many state institutions like TAFE Queensland.  This course will teach you the 3 key skills of how to design learning programs, conduct training sessions and assess competence.

The next step is to increase your expertise by taking up additional courses and being active with work. This is important because you can be a trainer for almost anything as long as you have the relevant qualifications or loads of work experience.

This applies whether you want to teach about child care, hairdressing, occupational safety or any other course with a nationally accredited qualification. You can even gain credits to get your qualification quicker if you are already an expert in your industry.

Many teachers also take up higher education like graduate diplomas and the Diploma of Vocational Education and Training. These can improve your skills further and enhance your work responsibilities.

VET Teacher Salary

The median weekly salary for full time Vocational Education Teachers in Australia is $1,538 before tax. That’s higher than the $1,152 average for all jobs.

When part time teachers are included, the median wage rate per week is $1,100 compared to the $950 of other occupations.

Employment Growth and Trends

The number of Vocational Education Teachers is projected to grow moderately during the next few years, according to the government data.

Employment Vocational Education Teachers is expected to rise in the coming years

There are employment opportunities in many regions of Australia since training services are required wherever there are people to train. This is a relatively large industry, with over 40,000 vocational education teachers working in Australian as of 2013, expected to grow to 44,500 vocational teachers by November 2018. There are predicted to be between 2,000-5,000 job openings a year in this sector due to employment growth and people leaving the occupation.


Vocational Education Teachers are the trainers and assessors for TAFE institutions and other similar organisations. They teach a wide variety of courses that prepare students for work in almost every major Australian industry today.

To be a qualified VET Teacher, you first need to the complete the Cert IV TAE. You can pair this qualification with other courses to be a trainer in industries relevant to your experience and expertise.

As a growing industry with a huge number of students, Vocational Teaching is a career you can start on today.

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.


There’s 14 comments (add a comment)

  • Andy Tooch says:

    Two questions
    1. I am a qualified teacher – do I get any credits?
    2. I have hearing loss but keen to do a course like this as quick as conveniently possible. Is it best to do it on line and what is the cost?Please consider 1 in responding to me….Thanking you

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Andy! Here are some answers to your questions:

      1. Yes, you can get receive credit towards the course and reduce the number of units you have to study because you are a qualified teacher. This is done through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). There is even a Teachers’ Fast Track course for the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. Feel free to enquire on that page today to get a free course infopack on how you can enrol in it.
      2. It looks like the online course would work the best for you. There’s currently a “Spring Sale” promo that offers the 6-month online Cert IV TAE course for only $390 right now. This promo ends on September though, so make sure you enquire today to not miss out on it.

      I hope that helps you, Andy! Let me know if you have more questions 🙂

  • Ralph says:

    Vocational education includes secondary vocational education as well as adult education which are offered by colleges. Vocational training includes corporate courses which are useful for employees. These courses are offered by training companies. Hermods is a educational company which provides vocational education.

  • Sabina Syed says:

    I am a High School Math teacher currently teaching prevocational mathematics to year 11 and 12. I have pursued Masters of Educational Studies with mathematics as specialisation. I wish to teach the lower level of mathematics to years 11, 12 and higher. how helpful is this course?

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Sabina! The Certificate IV in Training and Assessment is the national standard when it comes to training and many teachers use their experience to gain this qualification. It will make you ready for teaching or training-related responsibilities course will teach you the 3 major areas of training design, delivery, and assessment so that you can expand to other higher workplace training roles. If you want more details, feel free to enquire here on the Cert IV TAE Fast Track for Teachers page to get a free infopack.

  • Josephine says:

    how much is the tuition fees for online course? And, do you accept installment?

    • Joshua says:

      Hi Josephine. The Certificate IV in Training and Assessment is currently on sale right now. We’re offering the online course for only $340, in line with our ‘End of Financial Year Sale’. Kindly enquire here to see the full course details.

  • SARAH says:

    can you tell me if I can get any credits through my work experience and Bachelor of social science major in community

  • shushil ghimire says:

    hi i am shushil ghimire from Nepal, recently i am in Australia. i have completed my masters degree in mathematics from Tribhuvan University,Nepal. after completion of my masters degree in mathematics i have been teaching mathematics in Engineering college in for Bachelors of Engineering for four years as a full time lecturer and some class 11 and class 12 as a part time teacher too. now i want to be a mathematics teacher in australia. but i don’t know how to be mathematics teacher in australia. please kindly help me and suggest me how can i get success in my career.

  • Nadia says:

    Hi there

    I have my own beauty business as well as Cert IV in Assessment and Workplace Training.

    I am interested in teaching disadvantaged kids beauty therapy.

    Do you know what the required steps would be?

    I also understand that some courses are accredited and others aren’t.

    Naturally I would prefer to be an accredited trainer.

    What would the steps, rules, regulations and legislature be to make this possible?

    Thank you

  • Neha Deshmukh says:

    I have a Certificate IV in TESOL and would like to do a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
    Would I be eligible for RPL? Also, what’s the fastest way of completing this course?

    • Joshua says:

      Thank you for your interest, Neha! The fastest way to complete the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment would be enrolling in our Full Face-to-Face TAE course. This 2-week workshop includes 10 classroom sessions that lets you commence all the course assessments. As for the RPL process, kindly click here to send us an enquiry and so our Enrolment Coordinator can get in touch with you.

  • Ben Kane says:

    Hi my name is Ben I have a disability however prior to my car crash i worked for ten years in the disability employment field where my main duties included finding and maintaining employment for people with disabilities in the open workforce. I also actively trained both clients in their job roles but also trained staff and assisted in their ongoing education. I conducted individual employment plans for people with a disability transitioning from high school into the open work force in consultation with special educational teachers and carers. I would like to complete this course and would like to now what would be the best way to get qualified and would like your advice as to whether I should study on line or face to face as may have some difficulties with attending a full ten day course due to my disability which is severe disabling chronic pain. I was also enquiring whether you have payment plans and whether you offer discounts or scholarships to people with concession to people with a disability thanks very much have a great day.
    Ben Kane

    • Joshua says:

      Thanks for your interest, Ben. We have payment plans available for the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment course, which you can see in the course Infopack. Unfortunately we don’t accept concessions, but the cost of this course is currently reduced in line with our ‘Last Chance’ Sale. Our Enrolment Coordinator will be glad to talk about the course with you, so you can decide which delivery mode suits you better. Please enquire here at the Cert IV TAE page to get in touch and to claim your free course Infopack.

Leave a Reply


Could you please amend the form? We’ve highlighted the problem(s) for you...