How to Become a Fitness Trainer: A Guide for Career-Seeking Australians
Many Australians today now want to become a fitness trainer, but are unsure of the steps of how to start on this career. How exactly do you begin a career as a fitness trainer?
More and more Australians are going to gyms and enrolling in fitness classes to get healthy, and to look and feel good, making fitness a billion dollar industry. As a result, entering fitness has become a rewarding career today.
The demand for fitness instructors is expected to still grow between now and 2022. Current estimates put the job openings at around 23,000. If you want to become a fitness trainer, fitness instructor, gym instructor, aerobics instructor, or a fitness business owner, there has never been a better time to be one.
Here’s how you can start your career as a personal fitness trainer:
1. Get qualified by studying a Certificate III/IV in Fitness course.
a.What will you learn in the Fitness Course?
b.Are there any requirements to this course?
2. Gain actual work experience as a fitness trainer through vocational placement.
3. Get registered as a fitness professional in Australia.
4. Apply as a fitness instructor
a.What is the salary of Personal Fitness Instructors and Trainers?
b.Personal Trainer Responsibilities and Skills
To become a fitness trainer, you first need to get nationally qualified.
Becoming qualified in Australia means you need to study the Certificate III in Fitness or the Certificate IV in Fitness course. By gaining this fitness qualification, you will learn and practice the critical tasks and responsibilities that fitness trainers handle every day.
Holding this certificate will prove to employers that you are fully competent as a fitness trainer – and help you stand out. Whether you are aiming for a role as a trainer or a business owner, starting or improving your place in the industry begins with getting qualified.
The 2 most sought after qualifications are:
1. Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315)
For those looking to be a fitness trainer in a gym or related facility. Many new fitness trainers begin their career working in a gym as an instructor. The Certificate III will give you the skills and knowledge needed for doing tasks inside a fitness facility.
Click here for complete course information about the Certificate III in Fitness
2. Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40215)
For those who want to be a personal trainer. Those with Certificate IV in Fitness can look forward to training their own clients. You can also own a fitness business with this certification. If you want to create your own fitness business and take on clients with unique fitness training programs, then you need the Certificate IV in Fitness.
Click here for complete course information about the Certificate IV in Fitness.
You will learn to perform the tasks and responsibilities of a personal trainer such as consulting with health professionals in creating fitness programs, designing fitness programs based on individual assessments of the clients, deliver fitness activities, demonstrate and teach skills and movements in fitness routines, set-up and monitor fitness equipment and other related tasks.
If you choose to study the higher Certificate IV in Fitness, you will gain advanced skills useful to train individual clients and operate your own fitness business such as:
• Instruct exercise programs to clients
• Apply exercise science principles into fitness programs
• Give advice on diet and promote wellness by supporting healthy eating
• Marketing and planning for a small business
Both fitness training courses can be studied at an entry level by Australians who are just starting out, or have limited experience in the industry.
The Certificate III in Fitness for gym instructors have basic entry requirements, such as having basic computer skills and completed a health screening. You also need to hold a current First Aid and CPR certificate.
The Certificate IV in Fitness for personal trainers have prerequisite units before you can enrol. To be eligible, you can either study the Certificate III in Fitness first to gain these prerequisite units, or enrol in the Personal Trainer – Sprint course bundle that combines these units together, so you can enrol straight away without any previous studies.
Click here for complete course information about the Certificate IV in Fitness – Sprint Package.
While you are studying for your Certificate III or IV, you will need to undergo vocational placement in an actual gym or fitness facility. Vocational placement means that you will spend a minimum number of hours working as an assistant instructor at a gym or fitness facility. This gives you valuable industry experience and guidance from experienced trainers, and networking opportunities to get to know other fitness professionals.
Gyms, recreational centres, aquatic facilities and other fitness facilities qualify as places where you can undergo the vocational placement.
Why is gaining practical work experience important?
Gaining work experience through the vocational placement is important because:
• You will gain hands-on experience and practice the tasks you can expect to do in the future
• It will help in your job search as employers look for those with actual job experience
• Expand your network by meeting other fitness professionals
• If you plan to start your own business, you will get a better idea of how to run and manage it
Registering as a fitness professional will give you support from an industry body and will increase your employer’s and clients’ confidence in you. When you register with a well-known and respected organisation, it shows you meet their guidelines and that your qualifications and skills are up-to-date.
Fitness Australia is the top health and fitness industry association Australia-wide. They provide support services to registered personal trainers, fitness instructors, and fitness businesses. You can also get your insurance from Fitness Australia, providing you with security and peace of mind.
The requirements to register with Fitness Australia are:
• A relevant fitness qualification
• A senior First Aid or CPR qualification
For more information about registering, visit the Fitness Australia website.
When you are finally qualified, you can begin applying for fitness roles in a variety of workplaces, including gyms, recreational centres, aquatic facilities and other fitness facilities
You can begin by searching for role titles like:
• Gym instructor
• Physical fitness instructor
• Aerobics instructor
Click on the links below to check out the job openings in your area
What is the salary of Personal Fitness Instructors and Trainers?
The weekly wage of Fitness instructors is $1,651 on average. However, this depends on your level of experience and your location in Australia.
Personal Trainer Responsibilities and Skills
As a fitness instructors, the tasks and responsibilities you will frequently encounter are:
a. Develop and implement exercise routines for clients
b. Ensure that fitness programs meet the needs of the clients
c. Guide and support clients to meet fitness goals
Fitness is a rewarding career today, but only if you have what employers and fitness clients are looking for in a trainer.
To become a fitness trainer, you need to:
1. Gain a formal qualification in fitness such as the Certificate III in Fitness, the Certificate IV in Fitness, or the Personal Trainer Course Sprint Package to prepare you to take on roles in the fitness industry.
2. Gain workplace experience by performing actual work tasks during your vocational placement as part of your fitness course.
3. You may choose to register with a respected industry organisation for support and recognition.
4. Apply for roles such as personal trainer, fitness trainer, fitness instructor, gym instructor, aerobics instructor, or a fitness business owner.
If you have any questions about how to become a personal trainer then you can click here to enquire now, and our Enrolment Coordinator will gladly get in touch with you.
Latest posts by Adrian (see all)
- 9 Best Reasons To Work In Aged Care - May 9, 2018
- Why accountants get the most confused…is it $3 – $2 or is it $2 – $3? - April 26, 2018
- Why Disability Workers Have The Most Fun - April 26, 2018