Inspire Education's news
Latest Work Health and Safety Qualifications Released — What You Need to Know
Work Health and Safety Revamped!
There are four (4) new WHS qualifications released by the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) after the Case for Endorsement and implementation for the BSB Business Services Training Package (5.0) has been approved.
The new qualifications for the WHS industry include:
- ▪ BSB30719 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety
- ▪ BSB41419 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety
- ▪ BSB51319 Diploma of Work Health and Safety
- ▪ BSB60619 Advanced Diploma of Work Health and Safety
Also included in the changes for BSB Business Services Training Package are the seven (7) new Units of Competency:
- ▪ BSBWHS331 Participate in identifying and controlling hazardous chemicals
- ▪ BSBWHS431 Develop processes and procedures for controlling hazardous chemicals in the workplace
- ▪ BSBWHS512 Contribute to managing work-related psychological health and safety
- ▪ BSBWHS514 Manage WHS compliance of contractors
- ▪ BSBWHS531 Implement and evaluate system of work for managing hazardous chemicals
- ▪ BSBWHS611 Develop and implement strategies that support work-related psychological health and safety
- ▪ BSBWHS612 Develop and implement a strategy to support a positive WHS culture
The new qualifications and units of competencies can be seen on training.gov.au
What Potential and Current WHS Students Must Take Note
If you’re currently taking a WHS qualification, or you’re looking to take one in the near future, you might have questions in mind like “is it equivalent to its previous version?” — In line with the release of the new WHS qualifications
This is important info to jot down, as most students base their decision to take a certain qualification by knowing if a certain course is equivalent to a qualification they already have.
This is also the basis of upgrading your current qualification if the latest qualification is not equivalent.
In the case of the new WHS qualifications, you don’t have to worry, as we’ve laid out the specifics in the table below:
|BSB30719 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety||No equivalent qualification. Supersedes but is not equivalent to BSB30715 Certificate III in Work Health and Safety.|
|BSB41419 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety||Supersedes and is equivalent to BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety.|
|BSB51319 Diploma of Work Health and Safety||Supersedes and is equivalent to BSB51315 Diploma of Work Health and Safety.|
|BSB60619 Advanced Diploma of Work Health and Safety||No equivalent qualification. Supersedes but is not equivalent to BSB60615 Advanced Diploma of Work Health and Safety.|
Should I start with the latest qualifications right now?
Not necessarily, especially if you’re taking/holding the Cert IV and Diploma WHS courses. Both of these qualifications are still equivalent to their previous versions, which means your qualification is still up to date.
But, as soon as they’re no longer equivalent, you may want to get moving and have your qualification upgraded.
Also, there are no RTO’s providing these qualifications just yet as per TGA. You may visit training.gov.au for the official list of RTOs providing the newest WHS qualifications.
To sum it all up, here are the changes to the WHS qualifications:
- ▪ Four (4) new qualifications changed from superseded versions
- ▪ Twenty-six units (26) changed from superseded versions
- ▪ Three (3) units deleted
- ▪ Seven (7) new units created
For the latest info regarding industry and qualification news, visit training.gov.au
Love the content you just read? We have more for you!
Latest posts by Jao Tabuzo (see all)
- Inspire Education’s Lucky Door Draw Winners - September 13, 2019
- Latest Work Health and Safety Qualifications Released — What You Need to Know - September 12, 2019
- The Top 5 Emerging Marketing Careers in 2019 - September 4, 2019