Inspire Education's news

How to Become a Construction Safety Officer

15 Comments   Posted:   by

How to Become a Construction Safety Officer

Work Health and Safety Careers in Construction

Update: If you want to become a Workplace Safety or Safety Officer Trainer, check out our latest guide here.

Occupational health is a big issue in workplaces across Australia. Workplace injuries and fatalities are incredibly demoralising for workers, leading to reduced productivity.

They are also a huge expense for individual organisations and the Australian economy overall.

Construction sites are dangerous places to work and construction is one of Australia’s most hazardous industries. There were 17 fatalities in 2013, 29 in 2014 and 5 people have already died in 2015 (as of the 20th March) and many more people are injured.

Potential hazards in construction include:

  •  Falls when working at heights
  • Slips and trips
  • Falling objects
  • Moving heavy loads
  • Bad working positions
  • Enclosed spaces
  • Crush injuries from excavation work
  • Being struck or crushed by vehicles and heavy equipment
  • Electricity
  • Rough materials
  • Exposure to dangerous substances (chemical and biological)
  • Noise
  • Vibrations from tools
  • Power tools
  • Radiation exposure
  • Dust inhalation
  • Asbestos and other dangerous materials

If you’ve been around construction sites for a while, you probably already know what injuries these can cause. For you, an injury might mean an extended stay in hospital, lost income and reduced quality of life. For employers, it can mean compensation & rehabilitation expenses, lost productivity and fines from regulators.

For these reasons, safety advisors are employed by construction organisations to ensure that employees go home safe at the end of each day. This means there are opportunities to become a full time health and safety advisor in the construction industry.

Here’s how you can become a safety officer in construction:

Training and Qualifications for Construction Safety Officers

The Australian standard for occupational health and safety professionals is the Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety.

This training course teaches you how to identify hazards, control risks and apply today’s safety laws in workplaces such as construction, mining and offices. As part of the requirements, you will be asked to assess your own workplace or inspect a simulated construction site to practice the skills you need for the position.

Holding this nationally recognised certificate is commonly considered the minimum training to become a qualified safety representative. This means that you can participate in your organisation’s management planning when it comes to OHS and WHS policies.

Employers may also want you to more advanced training and qualifications in health and safety, such as a Diploma of Work Health and Safety, or even a Bachelor in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management. Many safety officers build on their basic Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety qualification with additional specialist training. You can find a list of related courses here.

Job Description and Responsibilities

Construction Safety Officers are in charge of promoting occupational healthSafety professionals in construction typically spend a significant amount of time on field work for site, personnel and equipment inspections or audits. They are also responsible for doing paperwork to comply with reporting and documentation requirements of your state act and regulator.

Other duties may include:

  • Reviewing safety management plans and implementing changes
  • Creating procedures for injuries and emergencies
  • Enforcing the Codes of Practice for safety in your state or territory
  • Making sure harmful materials are stored according to regulations
  • Training staff to properly handle equipment
  • Improving health conditions by creating strategies for disposal systems, pollution control and handling hazardous substances

Having certain skills and characteristics are extremely helpful if you want to become a good safety officer. These include:

  • Excellent communication skills to explain how and why your policies should be followed
  • Diplomacy and assertiveness to persuade and notify employees of safety violations
  • Logical thinking to investigate and anticipate accidents

Salaries and Wages of Safety Officers

The average annual salary of full time Work Health and Safety Officers is $62,126. This is equal to earning a pay of $28 per hour.

Similar positions like Occupational & Environmental Health Professionals earn close to $35 per hour, depending on your location and experience.

Jobs for Construction Safety Officers

Safety professionals can be found in many areas in Australia. Click on your state or territory below to search for job vacancies in your location:


Work health and safety is vital in hazardous industries like construction. Construction businesses invest in safety by employing safety officers to minimise the risk of workplace injuries and to make sure their organisation complies with state and national safety regulations.

Qualified safety officers typically hold general safety qualifications like the Cert IV WHS plus a range of specialist qualifications in specific areas of safety.

Everyone wants to return home safely at the end of each day. If you’re interested in safety, why not start your career as a safety advisor and help prevent injuries and fatalities in the construction industry?

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.


There’s 15 comments (add a comment)

  • Colin Barker says:

    I am a 55 year old carpenter whose had enough of driving nails for a living and looking for a career change.
    I’ve recently enrolled in a cert iv building and construction course and am thinking that a cert iv in workplace health and safety would compliment it nicely.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Colin! It sounds like you have heaps of hands-on experience in construction already. That’s great since many positions for Safety Officers require a significant amount of industry experience from candidates. A Cert IV WHS can certainly help you pursue roles like this if you want a career change.

      Have you also considered becoming a certified construction trainer? This is another career path where you can use your years of experience. You can take up the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment and be qualified to teach formal qualifications you hold, including your Cert IV in Building and Construction course after you finish it.

      If you have any questions, just let me know. Thanks for reading the article!

  • JP NARULA says:

    Daer Friends
    I got Certificate IV in health and safety. I have another qualification Advance Diploma in mechanical Engineering and technical experience. But I want join health and safety industry. I have no more experience in safety field, where i can get experience or any chance to join straightway.

  • jacinta says:

    Hello, i would like to do this course,iam wondering if i need the cert3 first? Or can i just do this one?

  • Jeffrey says:

    Hi, can you give an idea. Im 10yrs electrical technician in facilities management and i want to be a safety officer. Which industry im fit to work and if i want to work in oil and gas it is poasible to shift from facilitiea to oil and gas industry.
    Thank you

    • Joshua says:

      Hi Jeffrey. This is best discussed with our Enrolment Coordinator. Kindly send us an enquiry using this link so you can get in touch.

  • Oteari Sam Attoni says:

    I am a permanent resident in Canada with good safety background from my country of birth ( Nigeria). I want to become a safety professional so that I can be gainfully unemployed.

    • Joshua says:

      Hi Oteari Sam. You can enrol in the Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety course and study online to get an Australian safety qualification. Please enquire here so our Enrolment Coordinator can get in touch to discuss this matter with you.

  • Umar sarfraz says:

    Hi, sir I completed dae civil engineering recently. I joining this corse .

  • Pete Tai says:

    I’ve been working in the civil construction industry for 11 years now, mainly bulk earthworks, as an plant operator. I suggested to my hubby the other day that I’ll probably work 3 more Highway Projects ( each up to a 3 year span) before I retire. I’m 51 years old. Hubby said that wasn’t going to happen, he reckons 1 more Project & maybe I should be a Safety Advisor. As he doesn’t want me climbing up into the machinery at my age, lol???????????? I’m presently working in New Zealand, working on a Highway Project. I was wondering if I’d be able to study online or are there any other qualifications that I must have to be qualified to study as a Safety Advisor.

    • Joshua says:

      Hi Pete. You can certainly study the Diploma of Work Health and Safety online as it can get you qualified for a Safety Advisor role. You can also ask your employer or vocational education regulator about qualification requirements or if this Australian qualification match those in New Zealand. Send us an enquiry through the Diploma WHS page to read more details about the course!

  • Yassirzain says:

    Dear sir,
    I am chemical engineer I’ve been working HSE officer about 2 years , before that i spent 3 year training I became Ability to maintain confidentiality of all data.,Familiarity of processes in oil field and I’ve a lot of certificate but recently I feel upset and need a chance for good opportunity and become more professional .

Leave a Reply


Could you please amend the form? We’ve highlighted the problem(s) for you...