Inspire Education's blog

How to Become a Child Care Trainer (and Succeed!)

14 Comments   Posted:   by

How to Become a Child Care Trainer (and Succeed!)

Want to Become a Successful Child Care Trainer? Read On!

If you enjoy teaching and caring for children, why not share your passion by training other people to do the same?

Child care is massively growing today so it’s no surprise that many Australians are seeking jobs in this industry. In fact, more than 50,000 child care workers will be needed over the next several years, but a role as a “hands-on” early childhood educator or teacher isn’t your only career option.

This massive surge in demand for child care workers also means that trainers are now more critical than ever. After all, only qualified trainers are allowed to teach accredited early childhood courses that all new child care workers need to get a job.

With the right training and experience, you can fill this role and start a career as a child care trainer.

So no doubt you are already thinking – how do I get started on becoming a trainer?

Salary of Child Care Workers and Trainers – a Massive Leap?

Child Care Workers and TrainersWhen you make the decision to become a child care trainer, besides from passing on your passion to others, you could also significantly increase your income. There is a massive pay difference between child care educators and trainers.

Full time child care workers earn a median salary of $740 per week. Meanwhile, median salaries for training-related jobs are:

Vocational Teachers – $1538 per week
Training and Development Professionals – $1350 per week

Your salary will depend a lot on your experience, qualifications, location, and industry so it’s important to start today and make the leap to become a child care trainer.

So how do you do just that?

Step 1: Study Early Childhood Courses and Gain Work Experience

Study child care education courses

Having the right background is essential in any career, and child care is no exception. This means you must study and gain a nationally recognised qualification.

All child care employers are now required to have formally qualified staff because of the stricter standards of the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA).  This means you must hold one of the ACECQA-recognised courses below (or their equivalent) to get a job in child care:

1. The Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care

The Certificate III ECE is Australia’s minimum standard for child care. All educators in centres and family day cares are required to hold or study this course since it teaches the core skills you will use daily when you start working.

The Cert III in Early Childhood Ed has 18 units and takes only 1 year to complete. This includes 120 hours of work placement that will give you work experience in a child care facility.

2. The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care

At least 50% of all educators in a centres and family day cares are required to hold or study the Diploma ECE. This Diploma child care course teaches advanced skills on how to manage a your own facility, and makes you eligible for higher positions such as Director, Group Leader or Supervisor.

The Diploma of Early Childhood Ed takes up to 2 years to complete. This includes at least 240 placement hours in a child care facility.

Important! You can only train for qualifications that you already hold. To maximise your career opportunities, it may help to hold both the Cert III and Diploma of ECE. This makes you eligible for more training roles since you can teach both courses.

Step 2: Get Qualified as a Trainer and Assessor

Get the Cert IV TAE to become a qualified trainer

Early childhood education courses help you find work and develop hands-on work experience, but this isn’t enough to become a child care care trainer.

Vocational courses, such as the Certificate III and Diploma in Early Childhood Education, are strictly regulated by Government bodies. You can only train and assess for these child care courses after you become a qualified trainer and have current work experience.

Becoming a qualified trainer with the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment

The latest standard for vocational trainers is the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or TAE40110. You must study and complete this “train the trainer” course to learn the core skills you need as a qualified trainer and assessor.

The Cert IV TAE course has 10 units and can be completed in less than 1 year. You can study it online, through Face to Face workshops or a mix of these two methods. You can even fast track your course and skip units through Recognition of Prior Learning if you already have training-related work experience and can show evidence of it.

Once you have gained your TAE40110, completed one or more early childhood courses, and gained experience you can now start thinking about seeking work as a child care trainer.

Step 3: Where to Look for Work as an Early Childhood Trainer?

Find Work as a Child Care Trainer

Are you Cert IV TAE and Early Childhood Education qualified?  Great!  You can now pursue careers as a vocational trainer!

Training roles are often found in TAFEs and other registered training organisations (RTOs) where qualified trainers are needed the most. These include:

RTOs that offer training to the public for a fee
High schools that offer Certificate I, II and III training to their own students.
Universities that run their own RTO or partner with a TAFE
Large child care centres that offer courses and traineeships to their own staff

Many businesses also require in-house training for their own staff. You can apply as a corporate trainer here and create and deliver training programs that induct and upskill their staff.

Recap: Becoming a Child Care Trainer

Child care is rapidly growing and tens of thousands more childhood educators are needed in the coming years.

To fill this demand, Australia needs qualified trainers to teach new workers the skills they need to become educators. To become a child care trainer you must:

  1. Complete a child care course and earn on the job experience in a child care facility
  2. Gain the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment so you can deliver nationally recognised child care courses
  3. Apply for training related positions in TAFEs, RTOs, and large child care facilities.

Remember that your qualifications and work experience need to be current to become a child care trainer.

Once you complete these steps, you can now expand into a training career and help more Australians start their own.


Do you have any questions about starting your child care course? Click here to send us a message today. If you would like to know more about training and assessment, click here to send your enquiry.



You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.


There’s 14 comments (add a comment)

  • Sherwood Institute of Australia says:

    great, it inspires all aspirants who wants to become a childcare trainer

  • Krystal Johnson says:

    Found this blog entry to be extremely valuable and inspiring, lots of good points to consider and a clear explanation of the overall topic 🙂 Thank You

  • Olusegun Peter Adewumi says:

    With Diploma in Early ChildCare, do I still need any course to become a trainer. If yes, kindly send me details of the course. Let the details include duration and fees of the course.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Olusegun! Yes, you still need the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment to become a child care trainer. This is because the Diploma in Early Childhood Education is a nationally accredited course that only qualified trainers can teach. The Cert IV TAE is the minimum standard to become a qualified trainer.

      You can take the Cert IV TAE as a 6-month or 12-month course. The online self-paced course is only $390 right now, but this offer will end in 3 days so please enquire today so that you can lock in this price. Simply click here to go to the Cert IV TAE page and enquire for a free course infopack with the complete details.

  • Jen says:


    I have been in the child care industry for 22 years as an educator and recently more on the management side. I completed my TAE last year but finding it so hard to get into a career for training and assessing as everywhere wants trainer experience not actual industry experience. Any tips on how to get started?

    Thanks in advance

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Jen! As a manager, does your current role involve teaching new child care educators? Highlighing your experience in conducting employee inductions, assessing staff performance, skills training within your own centre, customer service training, etc. may be useful when applying for training and assessment roles. Although these aren’t exactly the same as delivering nationally accredited courses, they still show that you have practical knowledge in facilitating and training. Hope this gives you an idea of where to start!

      • carolyn says:

        Hi Luke. I’m glad I read Jen’s comment. I have been teaching for 6 years and want to the TAE course. Based on what I’ve observed around careers in training and assessing she’s right about trainer experience being needed. Any tips for me?

  • Michelld says:

    I am a degree qualified early childhood teacher, I already work with TAFE NSW as trainer ans assessor. How do I apply to work with you as a Trainer and assessor? Thanks


  • CHARU MAGAN says:

    I have 7 years of experience working as a trainer & 12 years in Early childhood. I want to work as an online trainer.So what are the prospects for that.

    • Joshua says:

      Thanks for your interest, Charu. You can enrol in the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment course to formalise your training qualification. With your experience, and if you can provide documents to support your competence, you may get RPL for relevant units and progress faster with your course. Our Enrolment Coordinator will be glad to discuss this further. Please enquire here at the Cert IV TAE page to get in touch.

  • Janelle Syddall says:

    I have Cert III and Diploma. Am currently working as Lead Educator and am interested in furthering my study this year. Found this and re-thinking of my past goals that it may be just what I need.

    I have previously studied at TAFE Train the Trainer Course, prior to my childcare experience, but did not complete to the end. Am in a much better place now to try again.

    Would like to find out the cost of doing it again.

    • Joshua says:

      Thanks for your interest, Janelle! The new year is the perfect time to revisit and pursue past career goals. In line with that, we are currently on sale and the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment online mixed mode course is available for only $1290. Please send us an enquiry here at the Cert IV TAE page to get in touch with our Enrolment Coordinator and to learn more about the course!

Leave a Reply


Could you please amend the form? We’ve highlighted the problem(s) for you...