The Ultimate Guide to a Training and Assessment Career (Updated for 2018!)

81 Comments   Posted:   by

The Ultimate Guide to a Training and Assessment Career (Updated for 2018!)

A strong training sector is important for the future of Australia.

A G20 Training Strategy report states “how many women and men are in employment and how productive they are at work has a lot do to with the available opportunities to acquire and maintain relevant skills. Countries, enterprises and persons all perceive skills development as strategic, and consequently seek to step up investments in skills.” (see report)

Great trainers are important components of a strong training industry. If you have skills and experience to share and an interest in passing your knowledge on to others, then training could be a rewarding new career path for you.

How can you get started in this new career?

If you wish to go ahead and enquire about the TAE course,  

Otherwise, we’ll guide you step by step from how to get the essential Certificate IV in Training and Assessment qualification to how much you can expect to be paid.

Home to Become a Workplace, Corporate, and Vocational Trainer

This guide covers a range of topics:

1. What is Training and Assessment?
2. Training & Assessment Qualifications
3. Trainer & Assessor Pay
4. Specialising in Different Areas of Training
5. Where to Work as Trainer & Assessor
6. Duties in Training and Assessment Work
7. Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
8. Overview of Australia’s Training Industry
9. Working Conditions for Trainers & Assessors
10. Tools, Technology and Equipment for Training
11. Common Training and Assessment Job Titles
12. Related Careers & Entry Paths
13. Other Links & Resources
14. Conclusion: Should You Become a Trainer & Assessor?

1 . What is Training and Assessment?

“Training is the acquisition of knowledge, skills, and competencies as a result of the teaching of vocational or practical skills and knowledge that relate to specific useful competencies. Training has specific goals of improving one’s capability, capacity, productivity and performance.” (Wikipedia)

A trainer is a person who trains people.

The Ultimate Guide to a Career in Training and AssessmentMany trainers work in Australia’ vocational training system. The vocational system is made up of Registered Training Organisations. You may know them as TAFEs, RTOs or even recognise private training institutions like Inspire Education by name. Apprenticeships and traineeships also fall within the scope of the vocational training system.

Trainers are also valued in the workplace. Many organisations employ professional trainers and assessors to teach essential skills such as how to use equipment, how to work safely, how to use work systems or how to deal with customers. Trainers may be involved in inducting, up-skilling or multi-skilling the organisation’s workforce.

Trainers are commonly known as Trainer/Assessors, Trainers & Assessors, VET Teachers, Vocational Teachers, Vocational Trainers, Enterprise Trainers and Workplace Trainers.

A “trainer” may also be referred to as an instructor, teacher, coach, mentor, adviser, counselor, guide, guru, manager, handler, tutor or educator.

Back to the Top

2. Training & Assessment Qualifications

To train & assess in the vocational education system, you will need at least the latest and newest TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (get a free course infopack with complete course outline and information here). It teaches a specific set of skills required to deliver and assess vocational qualifications. It can also be applied to workplace training roles.

This qualification is the minimum standard to get vocational teaching jobs in TAFE or other RTOs. It is commonly known as the “Train the Trainer” qualification, “Cert IV TAE”, “Cert IV Training” and sometimes just “The Cert IV”.

Workplace trainers do not necessarily need a training qualification, but it is normally well regarded and can help with job hunting. Plus, the skills you learn in a course like the Cert IV TAE can help you do the job better!

Many trainers also choose to earn advanced qualifications such as the Diploma of Training Design and Development, or the Diploma of Vocational Education and Training to enhance their careers. Both of these can be used to get into higher positions such as Senior Training Facilitator and Learning and Development Manager.

Back to the Top

3. Trainer & Assessor Salary and  Pay

Vocational teachers typically bring home about $1400 a week before tax when working full time. This is equivalent to an annual salary of about $72,000.

Workplace trainers typically bring home around $1300 a week before tax working full time. This is equivalent to an annual salary of about $67,000.

Salary will depend on a number of factors such as your experience, qualifications, location and the demands of the job. Don’t forget to check out job sites like Seek to find out what jobs are available in your area and how much they pay.

Back to the Top

4. Specialising in Different Areas of Training

You can be a trainer for Work Health and Safety with the Cert IV in Tae and Cert IV in WHSOnce you have the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, you are qualified to teach the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. So how do you get certified to teach other qualifications? Simply hold the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (or higher) AND the qualification you want to teach and you are eligible to become a trainer for that course.

For example, once you hold the Cert IV TAE and another vocational qualification – say the Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety – you become qualified to teach the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment AND the Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety.  

Experienced and trained professionals may be surprised they need formal qualifications to teach skills they’ve practiced on-the-job for years. Unfortunately, judging the comments and anecdotes we’ve heard over the years, some take it as a personal affront or insult. Here are two common scenarios:

I am already qualified as a teacher

Even if you’re entering the vocational training industry with a teaching degree and have years of experience in the classroom, you’ll still need to complete a qualification to become a vocational trainer. Why?  Because the vocational industry has its own specific set of requirements and processes for training and assessing.

Fortunately, if you have previous and recent training-related work experience, you may be able to gain credit and significantly reduce the number of units you have to take. Please take a look at the  Cert IV TAE Fast Track for Teachers and Trainers for more information.

I already have experience and qualifications in my field

Vocational courses are linked to very specific job skills (competencies) in the real world. Even though you may have “better” qualifications or enormous amounts of experience, you must be able to demonstrate you have the EXACT competencies required for the qualification you’re teaching. Qualifications within the same area of study can actually have very different outcomes. For example:

You can be a trainer for Early Child Education and Care with the Cert IV in TAE

• The Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care course focuses on how to care for children as a childcare worker.

• The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care incorporates the Cert III, but also teaches how to run a childcare centre as a group leader, coordinator or manager.

The effect can be even more pronounced if you are degree qualified. University typically provides an academic style of learning (education with learning as the primary purpose). Vocational training focuses on delivering practical, job specific skills.

As a result, you might find that despite holding a university degree in your field, you need to complete a Certificate III so you’re qualified to teach that Certificate III.

Learn more about Vocational Training vs University Education here.

Can I get recognition for my experience and training?

Fortunately there is an established Recognition of Prior Learning system so you can speed up your accreditation process. RPL allows you to have your relevant prior education and experience recognised. Some qualifications, such as teaching, even have a “fast-track” RPL system set up to help you get certified quickly and with minimum hassle.

Back to the Top

5. Where to Work as a Workplace or Vocational Trainer & Assesso

You can apply for a job in a wide variety of industries in Australia as long as you hold the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.

One of the best ways to get a job is to use a reputable rto recruitment or education recruitment agency.  Well established recruitment agences have a place where you can upload your resume and go on their national VET  and trainer recruitment database, and then offer rto recruitment packages to their RTO clients – which might end up landing you an ideal dream training of other vocational training career.

Vocational Training Organisations

Qualified trainers and assessors are commonly employed by Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). These can include:

• Public Registered Training Organisations (aka TAFE)
• Private Registered Training Organisations (like Inspire Education)
• Registered Training Organisations run by non-profit organisations (like the Red Cross)

Self-Employed or RTO/Training Business Owner

Trainers can run their own small training business (and even grow it into a major training company!). There are a couple of ways to do it:

Start your own RTO. This will give you complete control over your own training business and allow you to deliver nationally recognised and accredited vocational training courses. This gives you freedom to control every aspect of the business yourself and produce the most efficient systems & highest quality training possible. Starting an RTO does require expertise and a large investment of time and capital which may be beyond the means of someone just entering the industry.

Enter a partnership with an existing RTO. Some RTOs offer partnership agreements. These allow you to run your own training business delivering nationally recognised and accredited training without having to start your own RTO. The partner RTO has already invested the resources and built the infrastructure required for an RTO. They provide the administration and “back-end” systems required for government compliance and charge a fee or percentage of your revenue in return.

Become an RTO Consultant / RTO consultancy Company

Many trained and assessors can grow their skills into a wider range of RTO compliance skills, and provide RTO consultant services, such as the highly-regarded, Australia-wide RTO compliance services company, 360RTO Solutions.

This is an excellent career path for trainers and assessors wanting to make positive contributions to the overall quality of education and the VET industy in Australia.

Non-Accredited Training in Workplaces and Elsewhere

Trainers may also deliver non-accredited courses such as pottery with the Cert IV in TAEWorkplace trainers are essential for delivering workplace-based and on-the-job learning. There are usually no mandatory qualifications to become a workplace trainer, however many employers expect job candidates to have experience in training and suitable qualifications like the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. Training work may be combined into Human Resources, Safety, Management or Team Leader roles.

There are also opportunity to deliver non-accredited training. These are courses not regulated by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA). Some examples would be “Introduction to MYOB”, “Beginner Photography” or “Pottery Basics” type courses. They can still offer value to students, but aren’t nationally recognised or accredited. They are also unlikely to be linked to licensing or regulatory requirements.

Whatever approach to training work you choose, you will require training resources to properly deliver and assess qualifications, skillsets or individual units. Custom development or even writing your own can take a lot of time and costs can blow out. Most training providers start with an off-the-shelf resource from a reputable resource publisher like Compliant Learning Resources or TotalVET Training Resources, or by training resources from an established reseller such as 360RTO Solutions – then make any final adjustments themselves.  Compliant has even developed TAE40116 training resources for the VET-industry flagship Certificate IV in Training and Assessment course!

Back to the Top

6. Duties in Training and Assessment Work

Vocational trainer and assessors are involved in:

• Identifying the various needs of students and creating effective learning options to meet these needs.
• Liaising with individuals, industry and education sectors to ensure the provision of relevant programs and services.
 Planning, designing and developing course curriculum and method of instruction.
• Advising students on courses and related matters.
 Teaching students using teaching aids including presentation of lesson materials, discussions, workshops, laboratory sessions, multimedia aids and computer tutorials.
• Marking and grading students’ assignments, papers and exams and providing feedback to students about their progress.
• Maintaining records of students’ progress, attendance and training activities.
 Consulting with Education Managers, Librarians, Student Counselors and other support staff.

Source: Job Outlook – Vocational Education Teachers

Workplace trainer and assessors are involved in:

 Identifying training needs and requirements of individuals and organisations.
• Setting human resource development objectives and evaluating learning outcomes.
• Preparing and developing instructional training material and aids such as handbooks, visual aids, online tutorials, demonstration models, and supporting training reference documentation.
• Designing, coordinating, scheduling and conducting training and development programs that can be delivered in the form of individual cand group instruction, and facilitating workshops, meetings, demonstrations and conferences.
• Liaising with external training providers to arrange delivery of specific training and development programs.
• Promoting internal and external training and development, and evaluating these promotional activities.
• Monitoring and performing ongoing evaluation and assessment of training quality and effectiveness, and reviewing and modifying training objectives, methods and course deliverables.
• Gathering, investigating and researching background materials to gain an understanding of various subject matters and systems.
• Advising management on the development and placement of staff, and providing career counselling for employees.

Source: Job Outlook – Training and Development Professionals

Back to the Top

7. Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities

Trainers and assessors have good skills in teaching and communication

Do you have what it takes to be a trainer and assessor?

Don’t worry if you are unsure as of now. You will be taught and given time to practice the essential skills and knowledge when you are completing the Cert IV TAE. These include:

• Good interpersonal skills
• Good listening abilities
• Creative and proactive
• Interested in helping people to develop their skills
• Organised and methodical
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills
• Tactful and patient
• The ability to inspire and motivate a team
• An understanding of how people learn


Back to the Top

8. Overview of Australia’s Training Industry

Vocational Training:

• Nearly 40,000 people are employed as vocational education teachers in Australia.
• Almost 95% have completed at least a Certificate III/IV level qualification and many also complete higher level qualifications such as Diplomas, Advanced Diplomas and Bachelor Degrees.
• There is close to a 50/50 split of men and women in the vocational training industry. The majority of men work full time, while almost half of female trainers work part time.
• Almost 66% of vocational trainers work full-time.
• The median age for vocational trainers is 49 with a disproportionate number of people 55 and older compared to the average Australian workplace.

 Workplace Training:

• About 26,000 people are employed in professional workplace training and development jobs.
• Approximately 80% of workplace trainers have achieved a Certificate III/IV qualification or higher. Many have done Diplomas or Degrees as well.
• More than half of workplace trainers are women and the majority work full time.
• Almost 85% of workplace trainers work full-time.
• The median age for workplace trainers is 42 and there are a lot more people aged 20-34 employed in this area when compared to vocational trainers.

Source: ABS Labour Force Survey, DEEWR trend data to November 2012. Estimates have been rounded.

Back to the Top

9. Working Conditions for Trainers & Assessors

Vocational or workplace trainers and assessors most commonly work with adult students. Depending on the role, trainers can work on their own or as part of a larger training team. Training and assessment can be delivered:

• On the job
• On-site in a workplace environment
• In a classroom style learning environment
• Online (working from home or office)

Training can be done online, on the job, in a classroom, or in any combination of theseWorking conditions really depend on the requirements of each industry and job. A hands-on industry may require more practical, on-site style training supported by classroom-based or online activities. More academic and knowledge based industries may do all training in the classroom or online. Typically, trainers work with small groups of students (individually, or up to 20-30 students  at a time).

Online training has exploded in popularity. Many training organisations are able to deliver training Australia-wide, or even internationally, while operating out of a single central office. Training is conducted through videos, webinars, learning resources and assessment workbooks. Students and trainers may communicate through email, messaging, video conferencing, forums and other communication technologies. Trainers will often work with a larger group of students in an online training role.

The move to online training has also freed trainers from physically attending an office or workplace. Some trainers can now telecommute part of the week or even work from home full time. If working from home interests you, don’t forget to check out our 3 guides:

• The Great Big Guide to Working from Home
• The Big List of *Real* Work from Home Jobs
• Beware of Scammers! 12 Work from Home Schemes to Avoid

Back to the Top

10. Tools, Technology and Equipment for Training

Training and assessing can incorporate many traditional and modern learning technologies.

These can include:

Trainers work through personal calls, webinars, online chat, and with a variety of learning tools

• Email
• Games
• Group Activities
• Instant messaging
• Online Course Management Systems (eg Moodle or JobReady)
• Paper & Digital Handouts, Workbooks, Learning Guides
• Powerpoint Slides
• Social Media
• Video Conferencing
• Voice & Video Recordings
• Webinars
• Websites

Since many qualifications require practical demonstrations of skills and abilities, you may be required to train and assess students in the use of many common tools, equipment and technologies used in your industry (eg. forklift trainers would use a forklift to demonstrate and assess practical competencies).

Back to the Top

11. Common Training and Assessment Job Titles

Trainers with the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment have a variety of job titles. Their skills are valuable and relevant to careers in Human Resources, Management, or any job with a large training or assessment component.

Some examples are:

• Assessor
• Enterprise Assessor
"You can be a RTO Trainer, Training Officer, Assessor, and positions under Humran Resources and Management."• Enterprise Trainer
• RTO Assessor
• RTO Trainer
• Trainer
• Trainer and Assessor
• Training Advisor
• Training Development
• Training Needs Analyst
• Training Officer
• VET in VCE or VCAL secondary school teacher
• Vocational Education Teacher
• Workplace Assessor
• Workplace Trainer

Back to the Top

12. Related Careers & Entry Paths

If you have experience in an industry, it can be the start of your new training career!

Your years of experience can be used to train people and help them get a start in their career, develop their skills to become better at their job, seek out promotions and pursue opportunities they simply weren’t eligible for before. Australia’s vocational training industry includes a HUGE variety of qualifications relevant to many different industries and areas of expertise. There is potential for people with a wide array of professional backgrounds to find a niche in the training industry.  Some examples include:

• Aged Carers
• Beauticians
• Bookkeepers
• Business Administrators
• Businesspeople
hospitality trainer on the job• Caretakers
• Chefs
• Child Care Centre Managers
• Child Carers
• Commercial Cleaners
• Contract Administrators
• Program Administrators
• Project Managers
• Counsellors
• Dental Assistants
• Disability Carers
• Driving Instructors
• Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teachers
• Education Advisers and Reviewers
• Education Aides
• Fashion Designers
• Gallery, Library and Museum Technicians
• General Clerks
• Graphic Designers
• Greenkeepers
• Hairdressers
• Handypersons
• Heavy Machinery Operators
• Herbal Medicine Specialists
• Hospitality Workers
• Human Resources Professionals
• ICT Support Technicians
• Librarians
• Library Assistants
• Life Scientists
• Logisticians
• Marketers
• Mechanics
• Mediators
• Middle School Teachers
• Miners
• Naturopaths
• Nutritionists & Dieticians
• Occupational Therapists
• Office Managers
• Other Education Managers
• Outdoor Adventure Guides
A wide range of expertise can be put to good use by becoming a qualified trainer and assessor• Personal Trainers
• Pet Minders, Trainers, Breeders & Groomers
• Pharmacy Assistants
• Photographers
• Podiatrists
• Primary School Teachers
• Private Tutors and Teachers
• Psychologists
• Receptionists
• Safety Professionals
• Science Technicians
• Secondary School Teachers
• Secretaries
• Special Care Workers
• Special Education Teachers
• Speech Pathologists
• Sports Coaches, Instructors and Officials
• Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages
• Tourism Professionals
• Truck Drivers
• Veterinary Nurses
• Youth Workers

Back to the Top

13. Other Links & Resources

Here are some of our own articles and Government resources that will provide more information about the training industry, courses, regulations and more!

• Complete Information on the NEW TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment course
• What is Competency Based Training?

• What is Vocational Education and Training?
• How Course Clustering Saves You Time and Effort
• Vocational Training vs University Education
• Jump Start Your Training With Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)!
• Scholarships, Grants, Awards and Study Assistance in Australia
• – National Register on VET in Australia
• Velg Training – VET professional development and consulting services
• Australian Qualifications Framework – national policy for regulated qualifications

 Back to the Top


Conclusion: Should You Become a Trainer & Assessor?

A training career best suits people:

• With a passion for teaching and training
• With experience from an industry that can be used for training

If you have at least one of the qualities above, becoming a Trainer and Assessor could be to your liking.

Professionals with the Training and Assessment course qualification are found in a variety of industries from Aged Care Centres to School Teachers and from Human Resources to Work Health and Safety. There is a large number of niches you can get into as a trainer, depending on which expertise you have or are currently developing.

It is up to you to decide where to take your training career with Australia constantly needing good trainers.

Earn your qualification, choose a skill you are proficient at and you’ll be on your way to being a Trainer and Assessor.

Back to the Top

The following two tabs change content below.
William Cowie

William Cowie

William Cowie

Latest posts by William Cowie (see all)

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.


There’s 81 comments (add a comment)

  • Monica Walters says:

    Sorry William,
    Monica again .. Another question– How long does the Training and Assessment course take and how is it configured each week?
    With thanks in anticipation

    • William Cowie William Cowie says:

      Hi Monica,

      Not a problem, I love to help out with these questions.

      The Certificate IV in Training and Assessment can be studied a few ways. Online study has the option of a 6 or 12 month maximum time limit. Study is self paced and your timetable really depends on your other work and life commitments. It’s expected to take around 330 hours to complete all assessments, obviously much less if you receive RPL for one or more unit. We run live webinars one or two times a week but also have pre-recorded ones available 24/7 on the student portal.

      “Fast-track” workshops include either one 5-day workshop plus 6 months of study OR two 5-day workshops where almost all assessments will be completed. They’re run Monday to Friday of the week and we hold them in several major cities including Brisbane, Perth, Sydney and Melbourne. We’re about to add a lot more locations, so stay tuned for those! Obviously those are highly structured, but trainer will walk you through everything in the workshop and make sure you’re on track.

      Please give us a call on 1800 506 509 or email and one of our enrolment coordinators can discuss the course in more detail with you. Cheers!

      • Mel says:

        Hi i loved your article and am curious about how long the the Tae course takes.. i have a cert 111 in aged care, a diploma in nursing and 12 tears experience in both aged care and hospital settings ..i began my bachelor of nursing but am questioning whether i really want to say on ward.. my passion atm is to train people wanting to enter aged care so im considering this course..

        • Joshua says:

          Hi Mel. Thank you for your interest. Your aged care qualifications and extensive industry experience will definitely help in your preparation to be an aged care trainer. When you enrol in the new TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, you will be given up to 12 months to complete the course, including the required vocational placement. Please enquire here to claim a free and complete course Infopack.

  • Jen Austin says:

    Hi William

    How appropriate that your article is so inspiring! I have done my TAA and TAE – I’m in my mid 40’s and a Burnley qualified horticulturist. I’d love to begin a new career (staying with my passion – horticulture) as a trainer/assessor, biggest dream would probably be a VET assessor or an on-line trainer assessor. I’ve been looking for opportunities for months now and needed some inspiration. Your article is giving me a little hope although horticulture assessor vacancies seem to be at the bottom of the list. I would like to send my resume to both public and private RTO’s and on-line education organisations however I’m wary that once I’ve sent it, it may not get to the actual ‘horticulture head of department’. Not wanting to re-send it every other week means I just may never hear of it again. I really don’t know which way to go about it and feel that my industry just may not be the go to break into training.

    Cheers for all the tips though, I’m busting my brain trying to think of ‘ways in’!

    Jen Austin

    • William Cowie William Cowie says:

      Hi Jen,

      Thank you for reading my article! You have a fantastic ambition and I hope I’ve been able to help you on your journey.

      There is no “one and only way” to start a training career so here are some ideas to get you started:

      Email: email is a great way to reach lots of organisations quickly! Use to find a list of RTOs which can deliver the courses you’re able to train and assess. That report will generate a list of contactable email addresses and phone numbers. I’m not sure what qualifications you already hold but here’s the list of current horticulture course codes.

      You can set up a basic email campaign pretty easily. Simply write a template email introducing yourself and explaining what you want (like a cover letter), perhaps attach a resume, and then send a copy to everyone on the email list you’ve generated using the links above. Make sure you use BCC (blind carbon copy) so they can’t all see each other’s email addresses!

      Phone: phone is far more effective than email. If you’ve got the time, try calling your list of RTO contacts. They might ignore emails or simply not receive them; it’s much harder to ignore you when you’re there on the line! You might not get the right person straight away, but your call will often be transferred to them. Most of the time, you’ll at least get the best name and number/email address to contact.

      Networking: your network of friends, colleagues and acquaintances are a big asset. I’m sure you’ve got to know a lot of people in the horticulture sector over your career! It might be time to get in touch with them – try calling, emailing and even social networks like Twitter and LinkedIn (if they’re on there).

      Volunteering: you are no doubt far more knowledgeable than me about horticultural activities & initiatives in your local area – for instance there are community gardens set up in parks and church grounds around Brisbane. You could involve yourself in initiatives like that as a volunteer and offer simple non-accredited training (I’m sure there are many avid gardeners who’d love to learn new techniques and would benefit from your experience). You’ll have a chance to develop practical experience in training you can show to employers and you’ll meet people who might be able to help you in your career.

      Start a small business: remember you do not need to be a Registered Training Organisation if you are delivering non-accredited training. You can create and design your own workshops to teach a range of useful horticultural techniques. You may also be able to find an RTO that will enter a partnership agreement with you so you can deliver accredited training courses. Again, you can develop your training experience to use in your job hunt.

      I hope one or more of those ideas helps you Jen. Best of luck in your new career. Opportunity finds those who are looking for it!

  • Paul Keefe says:

    I’ve been a qualified trainer and assessor in building and construction for many years, i worked in my local tafe in nz. Cant get a job here in my chosen field, i took a one campus, ten student course and turned it into a five campus 150 student a year course. I went to get my quals evaluated and recognised and was told my quals where no use and i would have to start again.

    • William Cowie William Cowie says:

      Hi Paul,

      We have run into this issue before and our head RPL assessor researched and contacted the relevant industry bodies. Unfortunately he hasn’t been able to find an official map between the NZ trainers certificate and the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. This means we haven’t been able to create a nice simple transfer like we have for TAA40104 certificate holders.

      All is not lost! We can recognise your experience and achievements in the training industry and grant RPL based on the evidence you’re able to provide.

      You can read more about our RPL process here or learn more about the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment here.

      Please call us on 1800 506 509 or email to discuss your RPL options.



      • Liz says:

        And yet, Will and Paul, NZ trained trainers will most likely have completed the CELTA and DELTA, which seem to have a higher teaching component in them.

        All the best in your journey, Paul.

  • Maria says:

    I have been offered to train a Diploma in Community Services Work. I will be required to train face to face for 6 hours per month. Should I charge per unit delivered of per hour? and How much should I charge for either?

    Please help I need to give them an answer very soon….

    • William Cowie William Cowie says:

      Hi Maria,

      That’s a tough question to answer with so little information. It can depend on your level of experience, where you are, what you’ll be expected to do and whether you are an employee or contractor. You’re delivering face to face training for 6 hours a month, but will you be preparing materials to deliver in class? Will you need to stay back or provide support for students outside those hours? Will you also be assessing student work?

      Hourly pay should mean you are compensated for the actual hours you work. That means if the classroom sessions run over time or you need to do extra work outside the classroom, you can ask for extra compensation for that time. However, you may need to provide proof of your hours before your employer will pay you, especially for work outside the normal hours. If classes run short, it may mean you don’t work as many hours and therefore don’t get paid as much.

      Per unit pay might be more convenient for you and your employer. It fixes your income and their expenses, so you can both plan around that sum of money. If you’re doing additional training/assessing work outside of the face to face delivery, per unit pay may work out in your favour if you’re a fast worker able to complete all your work in a short period of time. However, you may find yourself working extra time (extending classes, assessing work etc) without any extra compensation to make up for it.

      Whichever way you decide to charge for your services, you need to make sure you’re being paid a reasonable amount for your time. Decide what a fair full time equivalent income would be for a trainer in your area and work backwards from there calculate your hourly rate or rate per unit.

      For example:

      If $65,000 FTE is a fair salary for a trainer with your experience in your area:

    • $65,000 FTE salary = approx. $33.33 per hour
    • Add a 20% loading for casual work = $40 per hour
    • Will your employer pay into your superannuation or are you a contractor expected to make contributions for yourself?

    • If you’re a contractor, then add an extra 9.5% for super = $43.80
    • Do you need to provide your own equipment etc? You should factor in those expenses too and add a fair amount per hour to your rate.

      Finally, what are they prepared to pay you?

      You might be happy to work for $50 per hour. They might be willing to offer you $65. Ask for a rate higher than you’re actually happy with and see if you can get it.

      There are a lot of articles about setting rates for freelance work which will help you. Try these two for a start:

      How to Set Your Freelance Hourly Rate

      The Complete Guide to Setting and Negotiating Freelance Rates


  • Ali says:

    I have over ten years of experience in Aged Care and am completing my Cert IV TAE in June and have a cert III in Aged Care. As I have no training experience as yet, should I aim at a higher rate than I think they’ll offer me? What kid of insurance would I need? Currently the company I am thinking of In Darwin offers this course two full days a month.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Ali! It’s hard to say what your rate should be, but your 10 years’ worth of experience in Aged Care is a good asset to have. Just take note that the Cert IV TAE also teaches many unique skills that employers might be looking experience for.

      Is the 2 days per month schedule working for you in Darwin? You have other options like a 1 or 2 week Face-to-Face course or an full Online course that you can finish at your preferred pace. Some of your questions are difficult to answer without additional information so it might be beneficial for you to speak with an enrolment coordinator. Enquire and sign up on the Cert IV TAE course page so that you can be reached by one.


  • judy alexander says:

    a million thanks for sharing this with us xx

  • paul wright says:

    I work in the warehousing industry, I also have the level IV training qualification and level III warehouse and logistics qualification
    I want to train fulltime but would like to know where to start, I am particularly looking at being a forklift trainer and assessor, not sure where to start though, can you give me some advise

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Paul! You can first look up the requirements to become a forklift trainer and assessor in your location to get an idea of what you need. Your state or territory may have their own requirements when it comes becoming a safety trainer. For example, Work Cover Queensland requires having a high risk work license in forklift, a copy of your VET qualifications, and at least 2 years of relevant experience. WA, NSW and others should have their requirements on their respective websites too.

      I hope that helps give you an idea of how to advance your career, Paul!

  • Ramona says:

    Hi I have 12 years experience working with Market Research Call centres firstly as an Agent, Team Leader, Supervisor and then Call Centre Manager, with a Cert VI in Training and Assessment will I be able to take up training within all call centre work places?

    I also have 8 years experience with Airline Industry where I have been a trainer for an addition of 2 years training in a Flight Attendant institute, how should I go about being a trainer/assessor once I have obtained the Cert 4 for training and assessment?

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Ramona! The Cert IV TAE is the national standard when it comes to training and it will help you deliver training in a variety of workplaces including call centres.

      Do you have formal qualifications related to the call centre and airline industry? To become a trainer and assessor for these, you also need to gain qualifications for the industry you want to train in. The Cert IV TAE allows you to deliver training for all nationally accredited courses you hold so if you’ve completed other courses before you can now train students for it.

      It sounds like you have heaps of training experience already. Make sure you mention that when you enrol in the Cert IV TAE because it may make you eligible to gain Recognition of Prior Learning. This can lessen the number of units you have to study if you can show evidence that you are already competent in the skills they teach.

      If you have more questions, you can claim a free course infopack and also speak with our Enrolment Coordinator by enquiring with your email here:

  • HUMI says:

    Hello William,

    I have 4 years of experience in children services, and would like to move up.
    I’ve got my Cert III and Diploma in Children services. I’m on maternity leave at the moment and has resigned at my previous job.
    I was thinking of doing a TAE course, any advice please?
    Many Thanks

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Humi! The Cert IV TAE course sounds like a viable career pathway for you because it allows you to become a Child Care Trainer. This means you can find work in child care facilities that train their own employees and also in TAFEs or RTOs that deliver nationally accredited courses.

      To become a trainer, you should first make sure you have the latest child care qualifications, which are the Cert III in Early Childhood Education and Care and the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care. These courses superseded the certificate and diploma of children’s services and you must hold at least one of them to train in the child care industry. The good news is, you can apply to RPL these courses since you already have 4 years work experience so that you can reduce the number of units you need to study. Just make sure you can submit evidence such as copies of your old certificate and diploma, work reports, supervisor feedback, training records etc.

      If you have more questions, please feel free to send us a message on the Cert IV TAE page so that our Enrolment Coordinator can reach out to you 🙂

  • Penny says:

    Hi. I have extensive experience in retail and own and ran a small business for 2 years. I have a cert 3 in retail skills and department operations as well as a cert 3 in education. If I complete a TAE what’s the likelihood of being able to teach these online? Thank you!

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Penny! The Cert IV TAE makes you eligible to teach any nationally accredited course you have completed. This includes any certificates you currently hold like the Cert III in Retail Operations. To teach this course online, you will have to approach RTOs, TAFEs, or other training organisations who have the course in their registration scope. Have you already researched on where you want to become a trainer? 🙂

      • Penny says:

        Thanks for replying. No I haven’t researched. I don’t really know where to start! And will I be able to teach the course once qualified even if I completed the certificate of retail years ago? Thanks.

        • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

          No worries, Penny. An important part of becoming a trainer is currency. This means that employers will check if you have up to date qualifications (ex: Cert IV TAE plus your certificate in retail) and recent work experience in the industry where you want to train in. To start, you can look up the qualifications you hold on and check if they are current or have been superseded. You can then look for RTOs, TAFEs, and other training institutions near you who deliver training for retail. They may have specific requirements so it’s best to enquire yourself.

  • najma says:

    this is the first time i have appliedfor a trainer job as a trainer for diploma in children services. They have requsted for a letter of currency. what is this and how can i write this? is there any examples we can download?

  • Rebecca says:

    Hi there! I am looking into starting my training and assessing course next month.

    I understand that the certificate will enable me to train and assess – which is great, but do the organisations all specialise in one particular field? ie hospitality or customer service, or adult education training – and will they provide me with in house training for that field ready to go and train?

    I have a bachelor degree in TEFL and tourism, so I’m thinking something along those lines…

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Rebecca! The Cert IV in Training and Assessment is a nationally accredited course so all training organisations teach the same core skills and knowledge. To specialise in a particular field, you will have to take up another qualification in your target industry such as TEFL or tourism. With the Cert IV TAE, you will become a qualified trainer to teach the qualifications you already hold since only Cert IV TAE holders are allowed to train in nationally accredited courses in Australia.

      I hope that helps you in your course next month! If you have any more questions, feel free to enquire and send us a message on the Cert IV TAE page 🙂

  • Nicky says:


    Im currently undertaking my Diploma of Retail Management, I am a Sales Rep but would like to go into Work Place Training. My only concern is I dont work in a retail environment will this work against me when trying to look for work?

  • Scott Young says:

    Hi Wiliam
    im helping my partner in gathering information on becoming an RTO.Amanda has her own Salon on the sunshinecoast in QLD.she has been in hairdressing for 30 years and was trained in London by some of the best in the industry.Amanda also has a cert IV in teaching to go with her experiance and knowlage.her salon has 2 well equiped rooms that she is wanting to turn into her training centre.her first apprentice had just become qualified and she has 2 adult apprentices on the go with another school based apprentice also.any information would be more than welcome.Amanda is realy keen on giving back to a career that has seen her mix with celebrities from all over.

    many regards


  • Eghosa Ogbebor says:

    Hello William,
    I am a Nigerian and a certified trainer of trainers on the tool “Do no harm” I am also a project management: planning, monitoring and evaluation trainer and consultant in project and cost management. I am working in the field of development, a trained accountant etc. I am looking for those to collaborate with to set up my own training institute or centre to train people in my related field and help them get a boost in their career. How do I go about it? the training is going to be an international training that will involve participant across the continent.

  • Jodie says:

    Hi I am a disability carer who has completed my QCF Level 2 and 3 Diploma in Health and Social care, I am currently working as a Trainee Health and Social care assessor and I am nearly completed my Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational achievement. These are all UK qualifications.
    I am hoping to move to Australia and find work as a Disabilities/Mental health Assessor, would I find work easily and will I have to complete the Australian Qualifications? Thanks

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Jodie! It sounds like you have heaps of training and work experience already. In many cases, employers may still look for nationally accredited qualifications like the Certificate III in Disability, or the more popular Certificate III in Aged Care, even if you have already completed similar courses in the UK. The good news is, you may be able to gain Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for your previous qualifications so that you won’t have to redo the entire course again. This depends on how much evidence you can provide that show you are already competent in the course you’re interested in.

      To get a better idea of how RPL works, feel free to send our Enrolment Coordinator a message. Simply click here to enquire on the Certificate III in Disability page and our Enrolment Coordinator will get back to you.

  • Amrita says:

    Thank you for this wonderful guide.
    I am pursuing my masters of social work at the moment and planning to do TAE cert 4. along.
    How relevant should TAE be for me with regards to social work field and what salary should i expect?
    Where all can i apply after my masters and cert 4 completion? what fields open for me in this case?
    Kindly guide me through.

  • Allan Sheppard says:

    Great site and very informative – many congrats on this initative
    Are you able to guide me to a link or site where I can get a sample contract for VET Trainers – both those in permanent (Part and Full time) and Contract trainers please

    many thanks for your consideration

  • Shamimben Palasara says:

    I am working with childcare industry from 2 years as permanent full-time employee. I want to make my career as trainer in childcare through public or private RTO but I am not sure about what are the scope of getting job in this friend as a fresher ( as trainer) and what could be probable pay rate?
    I would also like to know that what are the job description for this job and what is the difference with trainer and assessor? are they part of one field or two different field?

  • michelle says:

    I have applied for a trainer position for Early Childhood Education and care. They have asked me what is the expected Annual salary for this role. It is a five day job. What should I Write. Pease advise.

  • John says:

    Hi I’ve done the Cert 4 TAA , I am really struggling to get the assignments done and am looking to pay some one to help me. I live in Sydney, Inner West. Many thanks in advance . John 0419437897

  • john hinton says:

    I hold a degree in Social Science (major Youth Work) and a Grad Dip in Education (adult and Tertiary) I have worked in community services and youth work for 20 years and have taught at TAFE. I want to work for an RTO, but the one I have my eye on only pay minimum wages ($46,000 per annum) at level 2 under an award called “Educational Services (Post Secondary Education) award. Is this the set award for RTO’s in South Australia? It seems a very low wage..

    Thank you

  • Dim says:

    Please help.urgently need advise.
    I have years of experience in sales business industry. I have completed my bachelor of engineering in conputer science in 2008..and did certi 4 in training and assessment in 2012….now m a mum..looking to start my xareer as a trainer …i can be a businessz and child care n education trainer but issue is how do i i need to do any certificate in any of these specific field…?? If no, then how do i get experience from rto…no rto will hire me without any experience?
    Its been 4 yrs i did my certificate.

  • Julie says:

    Hi, I have had my Cert IV in TAE for several years now, I also hold Cert IV in OHS, WHS and Frontline Management along with several competency certificates (Microsoft packages; Fire fighting; Access package etc). I have been very fortunate to have been working in the Exploration Mining Industry for the past 6+ years as an Internal Trainer/Assessor and Technical Writer (Policies; Procedures; Work Instructions; Inductions; Internal Training Packages). My husband also has an Automotive Repair Workshop and I help him with his Technical Writing also.
    My question is – Although my boss is very happy with the quality of my work, I use “Industry Experts” to assist with the more technical side of the training packages and I attend informational seminars and read up when ever I can to ensure accuracy of what I am delivering. Is this acceptable practise and could it be a starting place for me to look at maybe furthering my career in the Training and Technical Writing side of things? I truly enjoy the Technical Writing part of my job.
    Thank you in advance.

  • ben mcrae says:

    hey there ,
    have just started as a hospitality trainer full time ,and are on $49.000 a year ,is this salary to low?,how long should I wait for a pay raise ?how can I check trainers wages

  • argie calimag says:

    Useful analysis – I Appreciate the info , Does anyone know where my company could possibly get a fillable NZ INZ 1206 copy to use ?

  • CRAIG says:

    i have recently passed my Worksafe accreditation as an Assessor for HRWL’s Rigging, Scaffolding, WP, Forklift and my RTO had me make an ABN so he could put me on contract, he is now telling me to get Insurance but i have no idea where or how much i should be looking at paying – I have no guarantee of work and am worried about paying a lot of cash for something if i won’t be using it ??? please HELP

  • Shak says:


    Iam interested in becoming a trainer.
    I have BCom in Accounting from Swinburne Uni. I have been in real estate as property consultant for 3 years.
    Are there many opportunities to become a real estate trainer at RTO’s or TAFEs? I don’t know which path to take as I have been in teaching for past 10 years in another country.
    Seeking some advice.

  • Carly says:

    I am Cert IV TAE trained and have been working as an Instructional Designer but now want to move into facilitation. I am only qualified to teach Cert IV TAE as I don’t have any other industry qualifications or experience but how does a person get a job teaching Cert IV TAE when they’ve not done it before. The ads all require experience. Any advice would be appreciated.

  • glen pellow says:

    Question for you William ,
    I am looking at doing a 30/70 split in partnership with an RTO . I would collect the deposit payment from the client/trainee at what point the registration would be forwarded to the RTO along with half of their 30% then over the course of the training i will collect the balance . Once the completed work is submitted for compliance checking and certificate is produced the other half of their 30 % would be paid . I generally only work with fee for service clients .
    With the current push to shut down non compliant RTO”s i feel this is the best way to protect myself and my clients because even if the RTO was shut down the will still hold enough finance to finish certification with another reputable RTO . Thoughts on can I legally do this?

  • Tony reed says:

    Hi Im looking for a trainer to act as a third party. Ckuld any one help?

  • Lisa Conway says:

    Hi – I would like to move to Australia next year from the UK. I have been a childcare assessor/trainer and quality assurer for nearly 14 years. I have worked in classrooms, in the settings and currently working for an online college. I have the relevant qualifications but not sure where I stand in your country. (assessor and degree). Am I able to do anything in the UK to work towards your recognised qualification or would my UK ones be ok?
    Thank you in advance

    • Joshua says:

      Hi Lisa. Some foreign qualifications in child care are acceptable in Australia. You may visit ACECQA’s website to check if your qualifications are among them or make a request to have your qualifications accepted. You may be qualified for Recognition of Prior Learning for your experience to speed up your study. Click here to read about our Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care course.

  • Lorelle says:

    Hi there, I have completed my TAE, working with children check, hospitality cert iv and I am looking to start my career in hospitality training however all the jobs I apply for ask for experience delivering courses. How am I to gain experience if I can’t find work in the industry? What avenues can I look into? How do I get into “online assessing” work as my friend who works as a hospitality trainer says that is a good way to start. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!!!

  • Michael says:

    Hello great article just curious on opportunities for a Bricklayer tradesman for 30 years ,if I complete cert IV in training and assessment
    Is it difficult to gain employment?

  • Carmen Krisanski says:

    Hi there,
    Sorry to be one more of the many asking questions (and thanks for answering so many for us all!) but I was wondering what my chances were of going into training as a career change?
    I hold a QLD university Masters degree in Early Childhood Teaching which I completed via distance education while working full time first as an assistant educator, then lead educator, then kindergarten teacher (once 50% of the degree was completed). This was all in QLD childcare centres and then I worked for a further couple of years as a kindergarten teacher with Brisbane Cath Ed in a long daycare centre. It’s a total of five years experience and I’d love to continue kindy teaching and also branch out into training, so should I do the Cert IV TAE and apply for positions, or do you feel that I’ll need to do the certificate/diploma in children’s services too? I’m familiar with the qualifications as I have mentored students in my classroom on their pracs, I gave feedback on their assignments and set up learning experiences for them – it’s what inspired my interest in this career!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Carmen! No worries, it’s our pleasure to help. It sounds like you have heaps of training and teaching work experience already and also have qualifications to back those up. You’re right that you need the Cert IV TAE first to become a qualified trainer, but you would also need to gain the qualification you want to train people in. It will likely be difficult to find an employer if you don’t have a certificate or diploma, because the standards for RTOs, TAFEs, and other training institutes are now stricter than ever, so they often prioritise trainers with the latest industry qualifications to avoid any non-compliance issues.

      For example, to become a child care trainer, you need either the Certificate III or Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care (formerly Children’s Services). The good news is, you may be able to gain credit for your extensive work experience through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) so that you won’t have to study the entire course. Take a look at the course units of the Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (click here), and see if you have documents that can prove that you are already competent in those skills and knowledge.

  • Kylie says:

    Hi William,

    I just wanted to comment on the usefulness of this link as I have been pondering my career for years and you seem to have answered all of my questions in the one article!

    I completed a Bachelor of PDHPE back in 2005, then completed my Cert 1V in Training and Assessment a couple of years ago.

    Being a trainer in the health / fitness area only makes complete sense now.

    Thank you for this article!

  • D.D says:

    Hi Luke, I’m a hairdresser and I have around 10-13 yrs of experience but haven’t been working in that industry for last 8 yrs, I’m doing cert IV in training and assessment and I was wondering how hard is it to actually get a job as a trainer at Tafe considering that I’m not current at my job? Thank you…

  • Jo says:

    Hi – I am enquiring on behalf of my husband. He is a classically French trained chef who has over 20 years experience at Head Chef level. He is currently in an unrelated sales position but is interested in getting back into hospitality and passing on his knowledge through teaching. From reading above, he will need the Cert IV in training and assessment. What else would he need? How much would his RPL shorten the course by? Any help you can provide would be appreciated. (sorry you may have received this twice)

    • Joshua says:

      Hi Jo. Yes, he’ll need the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment if he wishes to go into training. And to get RPL, he would have to provide evidence for his competencies and experience in training in the hospitality industry. The latest Certificate IV in Training and Assessment TAE40116 puts emphasis on and is more stringent now with the training experience requirement, so it’s important that he can provide the documents. Please enquire here so our Enrolment Coordinator can get in touch with you to discuss.

  • Melissa says:

    Great article. Just a quick query – I am interested in becoming a trainer in Education Support. I have 7 years of work experience as a Teacher Aide and a Diploma of Education Studies. However, would I need to actually complete a Cert III / IV in Education Support, as well as the TAE40116 in order to do this? Many thanks.

  • Kim Stevenson says:

    Hello William
    I completed my Cert 1V TAE two years ago hoping to gain employment as an aged care trainer and assessor. Most RTO,S however require a minimum of two years experience as a trainer. I have twenty years experience as a personal care assistant. I am Hoping you could offer some advice on ways to enter this industry.

  • Olivia says:

    Hello William

    I am hoping you may be able to help me – I am trying to do some research on something I have heard about the Trainer and assessor industry – hoping you might know or at least someone I can talk to – is it a requirement in this industry that you have to work in the field you are trained in whilst holding a training job? So in essence working two different job – one in your qualification and one in your training qualification simultaneously. I just don’t understand how this could work if you work full time as a trainer. I understand about keeping current but wouldn’t this be done through refresher courses (practical and classroom based) whilst you are a trainer???

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you

  • Dylan says:

    I am currently looking at having a role with an RTO under the NDIS as a trainer / assessor. My previous qualifications are a Bachelor of Nursing, however, I only have experience in this field as a student, and only <12 months experience in the disability sector as a support worker. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile pursuing a TAE to train others in the emerging NDIS field of work, or if my limited experience in both nursing and disability would restrict my ability to train others. Hopefully this question makes sense.

    King Regards,

    • Joshua says:

      Hi Dylan. You will need the TAE qualification to be able to train others in the disability sector. You’ll also need a disability care qualification, and having relevant experience will certainly help. I’m sure our Enrolment Coordinator will be glad to discuss this further with you. Please enquire here at the Cert IV TAE course page to get in touch.

  • Faulks says:

    Hi William
    I’m sorry to annoy you, just wanting your expert advice on
    I’m thinking of going around Australia for 12 months, I teach First Aid have done for 15 years are there any possibilities of going from town to town while I’m travelling doing some teaching?
    How or who would I contact?
    Than you so much for your time.

    • Joshua says:

      Hey Craig. I’m Josh; William is unavailable at the moment. If you want to share your expertise on First Aid in Australia, then you can enrol in the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. It is Australia’s leading qualification for those who want to get into training. Our Enrolment Coordinator will be glad to discuss your options with you. Please enquire here at the Cert IV TAE page to get in touch.

  • Katrina says:

    Hello Craig,
    Thanks for a great article.
    I am currently a qualified AUSTSWIM swimming teacher and want to expand my business into Victorian schools by running Professional Development sessions for teachers about how to teach the correct swim stroke technique to children. I would be self employed and the sole teacher.
    Do I need to complete the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or is there a better course which would suit?
    Thank you for your time.

  • Sachin kapoor says:

    Hi there

    My name is Sachin kapoor. I am Australian citizenship holder. I been in Sydney for last 10 years . I have a working experience as a chef in the industry for almost 8 years. I also hold a TAE certificate. I am very much curious and interested in becoming a trainer or assessor in hospitality industry.

    Can you guys please help me out in order to go ahead in this career.

    Sachin kapoor

    • Joshua says:

      Hey Sachin. That sounds great; sharing your knowledge with others is one way to move your career forward. You’re certainly experienced as a chef and already familiar with the hospitality industry. About your qualifications, do you have the latest Certificate IV in Training and Assessment? Do you have hospitality qualifications? The Cert IV TAE is important if you want to get into training in a VET setting. Please enquire here at the TAE40116 course page so our Enrolment Coordinator can get in touch with you to discuss.

  • Leave a Reply to Katrina

    Click here to cancel reply.


    Could you please amend the form? We’ve highlighted the problem(s) for you...