Inspire Education's news

TAE, TAA and BSZ: Changes in Training and Assessment Qualifications

30 Comments   Posted:   by

TAE, TAA and BSZ: Changes in Training and Assessment Qualifications

What’s the difference between the BSZ, TAA and TAE?

August 24, 2017 Update! The new TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment course is now open for enrolments! Please click here to get complete course information. If you already hold the TAE40110, click here to upgrade to the TAE40116.

Have you ever noticed or wondered why trainers and assessors sometimes hold different qualifications?

All vocational qualifications are updated over time to reflect the current needs of industry. Shortcomings are identified and addressed, new technologies and techniques are included. Since the Cert IV TAE is really the “Foundation” qualification of the training industry, it too is regularly reviewed and updated to reflect the latest needs of the industry.

If you’ve been a trainer for a while, you may have had a BSZ40198 as your first training qualification. This evolved to the TAA40104 and was most recently updated to the TAE40110 which is still used today.

Don’t worry if you feel out of the loop. Keeping up with these changes can be challenging. These updates have been designed to raise the quality of training in Australia, but have also had the side effect of confusing new and current professionals alike.

So how are the BSZ, TAA and TAE different from each other?



The latest versions of the “Train the Trainer” qualifications are called the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.  The older BSZ40198 Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training (released October 1998) is the oldest version of the course commonly held by trainers.

It featured the units:

  • BSZ401A Plan assessment
  • BSZ402A Conduct assessment
  • BSZ403A Review assessment
  • BSZ404A Train small groups
  • BSZ405A Plan and promote a training program
  • BSZ406A Plan a series of training sessions
  • BSZ407A Deliver training sessions
  • BSZ408A Review training


The first changes were made to expand the expertise of trainers and assessors to more areas of Vocational Education and Training.

The course designers added more units to the TAA40104, including electives so you could customise the qualification to your needs (to an extent), while still ensuring you were assessed for a core set of skills deemed most important for a professional vocational trainer.  This included units like:

  • TAAENV401A Work effectively in vocational education and training
  • TAAENV402A Foster and promote an inclusive learning culture
  • TAAENV403A Ensure a healthy and safe learning environment
  • TAADES401A Use training packages to meet client needs
  • TAADEL301A Provide training through instruction and demonstration of work skills
  • TAADEL401A Plan and organise group-based delivery
  • TAADEL402A Facilitate group based learning
  • TAADEL403A Facilitate individual learning
  • TAADEL404A Facilitate work-based learning
  • TAAASS401A Plan and organise assessment
  • TAAASS402A Assess competence
  • TAAASS403A Develop assessment tools
  • TAAASS403B Participate in assessment validation


Next came the update to the latest TAE40110 qualification, with the intention of improving course efficiency. It grouped together related topics and redistributed all the Learning Environment units to bring down the total number you have to study.

Units included in this most current qualification are:

  • TAEDES401A – Design and develop learning programs
  • TAEDES402A – Use training packages and accredited courses to meet client needs
  • TAEDEL401A – Plan, organise and deliver group-based learning
  • TAEDEL402A – Plan, organise and facilitate learning in the workplace
  • TAEASS401B – Plan assessment activities and processes
  • TAEASS402B – Assess competence
  • TAEASS403B – Participate in assessment validation
  • TAEASS301B – Contribute to assessment
  • TAEDEL301A – Provide work skill instruction
  • BSBCMM401A – Make a presentation

Here’s a table which summarizes the changes over the years:

able of differences between the BSZ, TAA and TAE


I am already a trainer and assessor. Do I have to upgrade my qualification?

The TAELLN411 Address Adult Language, Literacy and Numeracy Skills is soon to be needed by trainers and assessorsYes, both the BSZ40198 or the TAA40104 are no longer current to teach nationally accredited courses.  The latest Cert IV TAE, the TAE40110, is needed to continue facilitating, teaching, or assessing nationally recognised Australian vocational training courses.

Thankfully, you don’t have to do everything all over again!

It’s easier to stay up to date with the latest changes, rather than leave it until your qualifications are two or three versions behind. You can reduce, or even eliminate, the amount of study required to update to the latest qualification by enrolling in an upgrade course and providing evidence of your old qualifications and current relevant work experience. Note that your experience must be recent and be related to both delivering and assessing courses.

If you’re unsure how much credit you’ll gain from your previous experience,  there are Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) experts you can talk to. These experts will help you determine what units you need to complete to gain your new TAE certification and remain a qualified trainer. To discuss your options with them, just head on over to the BSZ to TAE or TAA to TAE upgrade page and request an info pack for more details.

Are there any upcoming changes regarding qualifications?

You might have heard of a new core unit called the TAELLN411 Address Adult Language, Literacy and Numeracy Skills. This unit is expected to be added to the TAE40110 Cert IV TAE qualification sometime soon.

This change by the Innovation and Business Skills Australia has actually been pending for quite a long time and was originally scheduled to happen last year on July 2014. Due to some major upheavals in the training sector, it has been delayed (read “TAELLN411: What is actually happening?” to see why) but is still expected to roll out in 2015. When it pushes through, the course will be renamed from TAE40110 to TAE40114 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (update: the latest Cert IV TAE course is now the TAE40116).

Hundreds of trainers have already decided to do the new TAELLN411 unit so they are prepared for the upcoming changes to the TAE40110 qualification. It is expected trainers will have a short period of time to update to the new unit to remain current in the training industry.


The vocational industry in Australia is constantly changing, especially the requirements for delivering accredited training and assessment.

These reforms are designed to ensure trainers have the skills and knowledge of techniques and technologies required in this field, but also means you need to keep up to date with the latest qualifications to remain current as a trainer.

If you are still working with an outdated BSZ or TAA certificate, update your qualification now to ensure you are current and still able to work in the training industry and keep your career moving in the right direction.


You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.


There’s 30 comments (add a comment)

  • Julie Evans says:

    good information about the changes I have a TAA as I did other study and became a fully qualified counsellor. However I would like to combine counselling with training so might look at upgrading to the TAE. How much do you charge for this as I was looking at your site because you advertised special prices.
    please quote me a price so I can consider my options thanks Julie Evans

  • Chitran Duraisamy says:

    Similar to Julie Evan’s comment above, I too am in the similar situation ; did the BSZ in 1999 and subsequently completed a ESOL tutoring course which addressed the adult language & literacy component and have been engaged in workplace training for several years now. As suggested by Luke’s response I have made inquiries via the web regarding your promotional offer and will await to hear from one of your enrollment coordinators. Working full-time and juggling 2 careers makes it hard for me to resit the entire course again and looking forward to a cost and time efficient way of upgrading to the latest course version.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Chitran! Have you already received your infopack and spoken with our Enrolment Coordinator? If you have your old BSZ certificate and other documents that describe your workplace training experience, you can gain credit for several of the course units. Let me know if you need more help!

  • Grace says:

    Hello, I have also completed the old BSZ certificate, I am a qualified Secondary Teacher and also have my Masters Degree and am now doing my PhD..however I need to upgrade to the Cert IV TAE to work at TAFE. Can you please advise what RPL I would be able to get with these qualifications?
    Many thanks

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Grace! It sounds like you may be eligible for RPL because of your old BSZ certificate and your Teaching qualification. If you have a copy of your existing certificate/qualification and documents that show you have recent work experience, you may get recognised for a big part of the Cert IV TAE (TAE40110) course. It’s hard to say the exact number of units right now since we still have to take a look at what evidence you can provide, but please feel free to enquire and send us a message on the BSZ Upgrade page or the TAE Fast Track for Teachers page so that our Enrolment Coordinator can help you out.

  • David says:

    I too have the 1999 BSZ qualification, however I don’t ever expect to be required to deliver accredited courses.

    My current role is the design, implementation and delivery of both technical training and train-the-trainer courses for both internal staff and paid customer students. I have also designed and delivered certification exams for my company’s products. This has been my entire role for the past 11 years.

    What are my options?

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi David! It would be a good idea to update yourself and upgrade to the TAE40110 Cert IV Training and Assessment since the qualification has changed greatly since the BSZ was released more than 10 years ago. Because you already have significant training experience, you can apply for recognition of prior learning and get credited for the units you took in your BSZ and the training-related skills that you use in your work. This means won’t have to do the entire course and you can finish your upgrade sooner. You can get the complete details about this by enquiring on the Cert IV TAE course page here to receive a free course infopack and also speak with our Enrolment Coordinator.

  • Kerry says:

    Hi. I have the TAE 40110, which I upgraded from the TAA in 2013. I’ve heard that we now have to upgrade again for new core units. Can you advise on this? I don’t mind upgrading but time is poor at the moment with other courses and work, so if I didn’t have to yet I would prefer not to.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Kerry! That’s right, the new Cert IV TAE course (TAE40116) has 2 new core units. These are the TAELLN411 and the TAEASS502. You can already add the TAELLN411 unit to your existing qualification today and you can enquire on the TAELLN411 page here about how to enrol and to ask our Enrolment Coordinator any questions you may have about the new units.

      • Tania says:


        I am keen to upgrade my qual to the most current (being the 40116).

        I am considering first upgrading to the 40110 and would like to know if the full qual 40116 will be issued on completing the extra two units (and what process would be required and costs, such as CT from the 40110 to 40116).

        Thank you.

  • Jason Norvall says:


    I completed in 2005 the Cert 4 in Occupational Safety, Health and Training. Do I need to do this again to continue training in the workplace.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Jason! If you are a workplace trainer, then it is recommended that you update your Cert IV since it has been updated several times since 2005. The latest nationally accredited workplace safety course is the BSB41415 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety. You may be able to gain recognition of prior learning for your previous qualification and recent work experience so that you won’t have to redo the entire course. You can enquire on the Cert IV WHS page here and speak with our Enrolment Coordinator to get more details on gaining recognition.

  • Dean says:

    Having had trainer qualifications since the 1980’s – Cat 1, Cat 2, Cert IV (1999), followed by a Diploma of Training and Assessment BSZ50198 (in 2005) & over 30 years training experience, I now find myself requiring the TAE40110 for my current role as a Training and Development Manager. I know the BSZ has been well superseded, but is there any recognition available against the TAE40110?

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Dean! We have a BSZ40198 upgrade path to the TAE40110, but you can still use your recent work experience in training to gain RPL towards the TAE40110 as well. If you’d like us to check if any your Diploma units can be recognised, please enquire here on the TAE40110 page and speak with our Enrolment Coordinator.

  • Tammy says:

    I currently hold 4 specific modules of TAE40110 as my qualification was to train and assess in the mining industry under a training coordinator. I would like to complete the remaining modules to complete the full qualification. Can you please give me an indication of what I have to do to complete and what the cost would be? The modules I have completed are:
    TAEASS401A Plan assessment activities and process
    TAEASS402A Assess competence
    TAEASS403A Participate in assessment validation
    TAEDEL402A Plan, organise and facilitate learning in the workplace.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Tammy! Do you have a statement of attainment for the units you’ve completed? If you do, then you may get a credit transfer for those so that you will only have to do gap training for the units you have not yet studied. For the latest pricing, please enquire here on the Cert IV TAE course page to get a full course infopack and ask our Enrolment Coordinator if you have other questions.

  • Matthew says:

    Hi there.
    I currently have Cert IV in training and assessment TAE40110. Do I need to upgrade? If so what do I need to do?

    Thank you.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Matthew! THe TAE40110 is still the standard training qualification today because its new version is not yet available on the market. What you can do right now is add the new LLN unit ( Addressing Adult Literacy and Numeracy) so that you are more prepared for the new Cert IV TAE. If your employer requires you to hold the latest Cert IV TAE, then you will need to eventually upgrade. Please click here to enquire on the TAE40110 page and ask our Enrolment Coordinator for more details on whether you need to upgrade and how you can add the new TAELLN411 unit to your exisiting certificate.

  • jeem benigo says:

    I was looking for TAA Form 15-U several days ago and discovered a document management site that hosts an online forms database . If you need to fill out TAA Form 15-U also , here’s a

  • cheryle says:

    Hi Team

    The discount offered on cert IV TAE relates to the old course. How much will it cost to be current with the new cost or module added in this package.
    Kind regards


  • Kelly says:


    I obtained my TAE40110 which included the TAELLN411 at the end of 2014.


    Do I need to upgrade? If so what do I need to do?



    • Joshua says:

      Hi Kelly. Your TAE40110 qualification is still industry standard. You don’t have to upgrade to the TAE40116 unless your employer specifically told you to do so. You may send us an enquiry here so our Enrolment Coordinator can get in touch with you to discuss this matter.

  • Ramesh KC says:

    Hi There,

    I have completed Certificate IV In training assessment TAE40110 .

    Do I need to updgrade ? If so what do I need to do.

    Can you please guide me .


    0401 957 380

  • Tracy Hamilton says:

    I have got modules:

    Would this count as a Cert IV? Also would I have received a certificate for this? Or just a skill set?
    Where would I go to get my documentation for this course which I completed in 2010?

  • varg says:

    What are the full names of BSZ, TAA and TAE?

Leave a Reply


Could you please amend the form? We’ve highlighted the problem(s) for you...