Inspire Education's news

The 10 Most Common Questions of Cert IV TAE Students Answered

58 Comments   Posted:   by

The 10 Most Common Questions of Cert IV TAE Students Answered

FAQs from Cert IV TAE Students (UPDATED FOR 2019)

Will the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment help me find a job? How long will it take? And how do I get started?

These are some of the questions that our trainers get asked almost every day about the latest Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. You probably have similar concerns if you’re thinking of taking up this qualification or are already studying it today.

To save you time and give you enough peace of mind to finish your course, we’ve compiled the answers to the most common questions Cert IV TAE students ask. Hopefully, this will help you understand your qualification better and make it more manageable.

Let’s start with why many Australians take up the course in the first place.

1. Will the Cert IV TAE lead me to a job?

If you’re like hundreds of other TAE students, you either want to start a new career or enhance your current one.

Achievement of the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or equivalent is a requirement of the Australian Quality Training Framework Essential Standards for Registration. This means you need to hold this qualification or equivalent in order to work as a trainer or assessor at a Registered Training Organisation, including TAFEs. The skills you develop during this course are also suitable to deliver competency-based training and assessment in the workplace, or as part of a structured VET program.

Possible job outcomes include:

  • Enterprise trainer
  • Enterprise assessor
  • Registered training organisation (RTO) trainer
  • RTO assessor
  • Training adviser or training needs analyst
  • Vocational education teacher
  • Learning and development officer
  • Human resources officer for training

Getting hired for a job is partly dependent on your ability to market yourself through your cover letter and job interview. Hiring managers will also look at your unique set of life and work experiences, skills and qualifications, personal qualities and even consider your likability when judging your value to their organisation and how you will “fit” into their workplace culture.

No qualification can guarantee you a job. However, the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or equivalent is normally required to even be considered for vocational training and assessing positions and is, therefore, a valuable qualification to hold if you plan to pursue a career in training.

To learn more about your career options, read the 5 Popular Career Paths for Qualified Trainers and Assessors and the Ultimate Guide for a Career in Training and Assessment.

2. How long will the course take?

The Certificate IV in Training and Assessment is expected to take you about 610 hours to complete. This is only an estimate, as the actual time taken to complete the course varies from student to student.

For instance, if you are already familiar and experienced in the training industry, you may just need to complete the assessment workbooks and may be able to gain RPL for parts of the course. If you are completely new to the industry, you’ll probably have to dedicate more time to reading the learning materials and doing additional research before you complete assessments.

If you study online, the course is self-paced. Study hard and complete the workbooks as soon as possible. Plan out your course and only complete a small section each week. You can leave it all to the last minute and try to submit everything in a big rush at the end (we do NOT recommend doing this!). Choose between a maximum of 6 or 12 months course duration, but your actual completion date depends on the pace you set for yourself.

If you study face to face, your time in the classroom will be structured and you will be guided by an experienced trainer. You then have up to 6 months to complete any remaining assessments at your own pace. We find that on average, face to face training graduates typically finishes the course faster than online students.

3. Should I take the Face to Face or Online course?

Take a moment to think about the time you have and how you prefer to study.

If you can dedicate one or two weeks to attend classroom-based training and learn better with a teacher beside you, then Face to Face is really the best choice. A lot of the lessons will be covered in the training room and your classmates can even serve as the learners for your projects, saving you a significant amount of time.

Online Learning is available if you prefer to study in your own time and at your own pace. You can work on your assessment workbooks whenever you have free time and schedule a call with your trainer whenever you have questions.

4. What’s a Unique Student Identifier (USI) and how do I get one?

If you haven’t heard of the USI, don’t worry! It was only implemented at the start of 2015. If you did not complete any vocational training between 1st January 2015 and today, you did not need to have one.

The USI is simply a single, centralised record of all the nationally accredited training you’ve completed starting from January 1st 2015 . The USI itself is just a series of 10 letters and numbers. RTOs and employers can use the USI to check your qualifications and add new ones to your record as you achieve them.

It only takes a few minutes to get your own USI. Read our guide on “How to Create Your Unique Student Identifier” and visit to get yours today.

5. Can I apply for RPL?

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) can be your express train to complete the Cert IV TAE if you’ve trained and assessed learners before or designed learning programs. By recognising your previous experience and knowledge, the number of units you need to complete can be reduced.

You can apply for RPL if you:

  1. Hold a similar qualification like the TAA40104 or the BSZ40198 or
  2. Have relevant work experiences such as work as a corporate trainer or school teacher

To apply for RPL, simply tell your enrolment coordinator and submit evidence to prove that your skills are up to date. Examples of evidence are:

  1. Course transcripts, statement of attainment or certificates
  2. Work references, history and job description
  3. Samples of your work

Simply indicate when you enrol that you wish to apply for RPL and our RPL Assessor will give you a call. They’ll give you advice on the entire process and discuss what units you may be eligible for. You will also receive your own RPL Kit which you should complete and support with your evidence.

6. Where can I find information about training packages and units of competency?

Think of the website as your best friend when it comes to training packages.  This is a database where you can search for any qualification and its units of competency. When you need a specific unit or topic, simply look it up here.

All trainers and assessors, course developers and training organisations use this information. Think of it as the “curriculum” for all Vocational Education and Training in Australia. From here, training organisations develop and tailor qualifications and units of competency to suit their delivery and assessment methods.

The website is another good source for course outlines, student outcomes and even average course costs. Just make sure that the course you’re viewing is the latest version since both resources also store past versions.

Inspire Education has heavily invested in its resource development, which provides a great experience for you. Rather than completing projects for individual units of competency, we have “clustered” the projects you complete. Feel free to speak with our trainers and assessors to discuss how this works.

7. How do I get started?

Once your enrolment is complete, you will get an email confirming the start and end dates of your training and assessment course. This will be followed by your student number and login details along with a guide on how to access the student portal.

Once you’re logged in, you can download the learner guides, workbooks and other materials to begin studying.

Our Trainers recommend that you work on one cluster at a time. Read the learner guide, complete the Written Assessment and then complete the projects for each cluster.

8. Is there a deadline for finishing each workbook?

When you study online the individual workbooks have no submission deadline. But, we do provide a suggested study order and completion dates to help you plan your study. It is up to you to manage your time and make progress on the course.

When you study face to face, your time in the classroom will be structured and guided by your trainer. You will cover a significant proportion of the assessments while in the training room, but there will still be work remaining to complete later, at your own pace. How much work you have to do outside of the face-to-face delivery will depend on whether you choose the blended (1 week) or full (2-week) program.

The only firm deadline is your maximum 6 or 12-month course duration. You must complete all requirements of the course before this period ends to gain your qualification.

9. I was marked not yet competent. Do I get another chance?

Of course!

The Certificate IV in Training and Assessment is a competency-based qualification. This means you can only gain the qualification once you have successfully demonstrated ALL required competencies.

If you don’t get everything right the first time, your trainers will give you feedback on how you can improve your answers. Once you have reviewed your work, you can resubmit it for assessment.

We do NOT charge additional fees for resubmissions of assessments. You can resubmit assessments multiple times if required.

10. Where can I find the answers to the workbook?

Your trainer is there to help you gain your qualification. But, they can’t just supply you with answers to each question. After all, trainers and assessors do need to know how to research.

What your trainer can do is guide you so that you can find or formulate answers yourself. Everything you need is answered in the workbooks or the external sources (eg. government or regulator websites) you are directed to check.

Occasionally, external resources outside our control are revised and updated. We aim to update our materials as soon as possible to match the changes. Please let us know if you discover a link to an external resource in the learning materials no longer works, or the site no longer contains the required information.

If you believe there is a gap in our learning materials, please discuss it with your trainer or leave feedback in the feedback forms we provide regularly throughout your training.


There you have it, 10 of the most common questions from training and assessment students.

Don’t worry if your concern wasn’t included. You can ask us more questions yourself! Head to the Cert IV TAE course page and sign up for an info pack.



You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.


There’s 58 comments (add a comment)

  • Donna says:

    hi I am just wondering can I select the three elective units for my proposed training plan for Cert IV TAE
    Thanking you

  • Shiva says:


    What is the entry requirement for BSZ?


    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Shiva! The BSZ is an old superseded course of the Cert IV TAE and RTOs aren’t allowed to deliver training for it anymore.

      The latest Cert IV TAE is the TAE40110. It has no formal entry prerequisites except for basic recommendations such as being at least 18 years old and having Year 10 English. You can learn more about the Cert IV TAE by claiming a free course infopack by cliking here.

      Let me know if you have more questions 🙂

  • Lee-Anne says:

    Just wondering if all of the TAE LLN course is covered in the face-to-face workshop or is there take home assessments?


    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Lee-Anne! The Face-to-Face workshop covers the complete TAE LLN Unit 🙂 If you have more questions about it, feel free to speak with our Enrolment Coordinator and get a free course infopack. Just click here to enquire and you will be contacted soon.

  • Tracie says:

    Is the fee structure different for the 6 month to 12 month Cert V TAE?

  • C says:

    The resource requirements state that we need access to 8 students to train. What do you mean by this? I have just returned to Australia from a job overseas and am not currently working.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi C! As part of the course requirements for the Cert IV TAE, you will deliver training to a group of learners. Your trainer will then give you feedback and assess your performance. The minimum number of students or learners who should attend your training is 8. I hope that helped! If you have more questions, feel free to ask our Enrolment Coordinator. Simply enquire and leave a message here so that you can be contacted 🙂

  • kelly says:

    How much does it cost to undertake this course?

  • AARON KERI says:


  • Monique says:

    Will I have any units taken off if I have completed a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood studies)?

  • Sevana says:

    Hi Luke,
    In the ‘Resources’ section under ‘to complete your studies’ it mentions having access to a TAE assessor to provide feedback.

    How do you find out if someone is a TAE qualified assessor? Is this anyone who has completed the course or an internal assessor from Inspire?

    Thank you.

  • catherine says:

    How do you assess the presentation skills if you chose to do online learning?

  • Linda Adeniran says:

    I would like to ask if I can take this certificate IV in Training and Assessment course while I’m holding a international student visa? Cheers.

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Linda! Unfortunately, we aren’t allowed to accept those who want to study under a Student Visa. You will have to look for CRICOS training providers to see where you can study. If you have any more questions about this, feel free to enquire here on the Cert IV TAE course page to ask our Enrolment Coordinator.

  • Ian says:

    I completed 1/2 of the old course before it was superseded.
    Was a Trainer/Assesor in the old workplace as a result, will that carry forward as RPL?

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Ian! Yes, work experience can definitely be used for RPL, but only if you can submit proof of your responsibilities so that we can check if it corresponds to the units of competence of the course. Your old course may also help you gain RPL, if you have a Statement of Attainment and the units you completed are still included in the TAE40110 course. If you have more questions about RPL, please feel free to ask our Enrolment Coordinator by enquiring here on the Cert IV TAE page.

  • Neville Pearce says:

    Why are TAFE so deceitful in NOT clearly stating that students HAVE to organise their own venue, 8 class students (min) to train PLUS, hire/provide video recording equipment etc.
    All this is costly and inconvenient for individuals.
    C’mon, TAFE, why can’t you provide the in-class assessment and equipment, as most commercial trainers do ?

    Get with the times TAFE !
    I attended an Introductory session about a year or two ago and the speaker was very cagey, skirting around this issue, knowing full well that it is/was a major issue for their prospective students and, eventually she admitted it

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Thanks for sharing your experience studying with a TAFE institute, Neville. Have you tried attending Face-to-Face courses in an RTO like Inspire Education? These TAE workshops like the ones we have across Australia allow you to actually deliver training to your fellow students so you won’t have to go through the trouble of organising a session by yourself. If you want to get more info about this, please feel free to enquire here on the Cert IV TAE course page to get a free infopack with the complete details.

  • Samantha Burgess says:

    Hi hoping you can help we own a security company with 28 employees & have 2 trainer & assessor’s but we no longer have an RTO for the certificates, what is the quickest & easiest way to do this, my husband has over 30 years of experience but given our remote location being the Whitsundays people are waiting 6 weeks for their certificates & a further 6 weeks to process their Security licence, We would like them to do their course & walk out with the certificates, We only do cert 2 & 3 in security operations & have no desire to do any other courses. Any information or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.
    Kind Regards

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Samantha! Let me see if I understand you correctly. Your company employs 2 qualified trainers who deliver training for you, but the actual certificates are provided by a separate RTO? Did you have a Third Party agreement to deliver training on behalf of that RTO? It’s hard to say right now what you can do without more details about your arrangement, but you can reach out to 360RTO Solutions ( to get an idea of your options.

  • Janelle Trinder says:

    Hi, I have attained competency in 7 subjects via another provider. My 12 month enrolment has laspsed and I need to complete TAELLN411,TAEDES402A & TAEASS403B . Am I able to do them with Inspire? Are you able to comment if there are practical projects to be completed with these subjects or just workbook questions? Thank you

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Janelle! Yes, if you have a Statement of Attainment, we can give you Recognition of Prior Learning for the units you completed so you may only have to complete the units you are not yet competent in. The TAEDES402A and TAEASS403B units don’t have practical projects, only workbook questions and case studies. The TAELLN411 unit does include a project to deliver training, but if you enrol in the 1-Day Online Workshop or Face to Face Workshop then you will complete that during the class itself. I hope that helps, Janelle!

      If you have more questions, please feel free to speak with out Enrolment Coordinator by enquiring here on the Cert IV TAE page.

  • Cameron Fletcher says:

    Hi, just wondering how the prac components of this tae course are assessed?

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Cameron! Do you mean how you will be assessed on delivering/facilitating training? These are typically assessed by getting a Cert IV TAE-holder as an observer to give feedback, or you can record it on video and send it to us so that your trainer can assess it for you. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask our Enrolment Coordinator. Simply enquire here on the TAE course page to enquire now.

  • donna says:

    Can I complete the practical sessions in the face to face classes….5 day face to face…. or the 2x 5 day face

    Or are their additional practical requirements.

    I am looking for a course where I can complete the practical in class as I am unable to organise outside venue or students.. Is this possible

  • Mick says:


    Could you please advise how to determine a TAE qualified assessor to provide feedback on presentations as part of the assessments in lieu of the video recording equipment to record the presentations. Are they still TAE qualified if they have completed the older course


  • Brad says:

    Hi, I am just wondering if the Cert IV in TAE Online 6 Mth Course is recognised by organisations in all States.

    Reason i ask is because i see your based in QLD and I’m in NSW.

    Thanks for your time

    • Joshua says:

      Hi Brad. The Certificate IV in Training and Assessment and all our other courses are nationally recognised and accredited. To know more about the Cert IV TAE, kindly enquire here to claim a free and complete course Infopack.

  • AJ says:

    Hi there,

    I was enrolled through another RTO, but the had no support or follow-up. They also required the entire workbook, for all units, to be submitted at the end of the course. So I don’t have any Statement of Attainment for units, even though I completed half the course. Is it possible to RPL the units I have already completed, but didn’t have them marked? I didn’t like how they wouldn’t look at anything until you completed the entire course. They just provided two PDF files (textbook and workbook), and said to submit only after completing everything.


    • Joshua says:

      Hi AJ. Kindly send us an enquiry through here so our Enrolment Coordinator can get in touch with you to discuss your concern regarding the RPL process.

  • Tina says:

    Hì, i would like to know that if after i finished the course, can i give the certificate for peoples after i trainning them ?


    • Joshua says:

      Hi Tina. Even if you’re a qualified trainer and assessor, you won’t be able to give certificates. Only Registered Training Organisations (RTO) can award the certificates.

  • Michelle says:

    Hi there
    I am inquiring if its possible to successfully complete the unit learning outcomes within this course, if you do not work and not have access to a workplace’ s policies/procedures etc? How would the course cater for students in this position ?
    Kind regards

    • Luke Imbong Luke Imbong says:

      Hi Michelle! Our Cert IV TAE course is designed to be completed even if you don’t have access to an actual workplace. We do have a simulated workplace with its own policies and procedures that you can use in your assessments. If you have any other questions, please send us a message by enquiring on the Cert IV TAE page here.

  • Aiz says:

    “Study anywhere “Australia-wide”

    Hi! I saw that post above. Is your online training only available for Australian citizens?

    Thank you!

  • Lainey says:

    I am trying to find out if I can do this course online from New Zealand. I am an Australian citizen but I’m currently living in New Zealand but wil be moving back to Queensland, Australia next year.

  • K says:

    A number of people have already asked this but i do not feel that you have answered the question adequately. If choosing the Online learning delivery how does someone, who is not working in the industry, provide evidence of training 8 people? Where do these people come from?
    The second part of my inquiry is regarding the RPL. I have the BSZ qualification but have not working as a trainer since 2010. Can you please let me know how many units i would need to complete of the TAE? Is it a straight Credit Transfer of the old certificate to the new, or is there still assignments for those units to be RPLd?

    • Joshua says:

      Hi. As part of your course, you will do a project where you need to conduct a short sample training session. Students typically invite friends, colleagues, and relatives to be their participants. To provide evidence, you may either invite a Cert IV TAE qualified trainer to give you feedback or send us a video recording of your session. As for your second question, you can get Direct Credit Transfer for up to 7 units and you may get RPL for the remaining ones. Recent training experience is important for RPL, so please enquire here so our Enrolment Coordinator can help you out.

  • Roger says:

    Hi Luke , I am currently unemployed , is it possible to do still do the course without a workplace to complete the units . I have the TAEDEL301A already .

  • Rowena says:

    Before considering doing the course Cert IV in Training and Assessment; can you tell me where the Face to Face venue is held in Sydney?

    Many thanks

  • Geoff says:

    Hi – I have a Bachelor of Education and have been teaching in Primary and secondary schools for over 20 years. Can you give me an idea of what I will need to do to complete the course after the RPL process?

    • Joshua says:

      Thanks for your interest, Geoff. If you have the documents and the experience to prove your competency in the relevant units, then you may get RPL. Afterwards, our trainers will assign you to a cohort to determine which units you still need to study. Our Enrolment Coordinator will be glad to discuss this further. Please enquire here at the Cert IV Training and Assessment page to get in touch.

  • Thaila Nation says:

    If I sign up for a on line course Can I upgraded to a face to face course later on if im struggling with it?

  • David says:

    Hi. I have a very old (2003) cert IV. I have been working as a full time university pre-enrolment English instructor to international students since 2004. Could you give me a brief idea of the kind of scenario I face in attaining the new TAE40116? I need it as quickly as possible. Thanks.

Leave a Reply


Could you please amend the form? We’ve highlighted the problem(s) for you...