Inspire Education's news
How To Become A Community Welfare Worker: A Step-By-Step Guide
This is Your Step-by-Step Guide to Become a Community Welfare Worker
Community welfare support is currently a large industry and there are many opportunities for those who want to be a community welfare worker.
Community welfare workers are also known as social support workers, social workers, welfare workers, and community services workers. Jobs in this industry work to promote the welfare of communities, families, individuals, and groups.
According to the Australian government, employment for social support workers will grow very strongly in the next 3 years. This role is predicted to have a good number of job openings until at least 2019.
But how do you become a social support worker?
Here are the steps to becoming a social worker:
- 1st Step: Study a Community Welfare Course to Get a Qualification
- 2nd Step: Get Actual Work Experience Through the Vocational Placement
- 3rd Step: Apply as a Community Welfare Worker
Here’s what you should know:
- How much do welfare support workers make?
- What are the Responsibilities and Skills of a Community Welfare Worker?
Getting a formal qualification now will jump start your career in this industry. This qualification will give you many job opportunities in the industry today.
The most recent nationally-accredited qualification for community services is the Diploma of Community Service with specialisation in Case Management (CHC52015). A large percentage of workers in the industry take the diploma course to work in welfare and case management services.
a. What Will You Learn Through this Course?
Through this course, you will learn to perform the responsibilities of a community welfare worker. These responsibilities include: promoting and implementing healthy behaviours and practices, advising clients on health-related matters, distributing informative or educational materials, and delivering other social services related actions.
The case management specialisation will cover case management supervision, workplace debriefing and support services, and leading and managing teams.
b. How long does this course take to finish?
A diploma course will take up to 12 months to finish. However, you can finish the qualification sooner if you enrol and work through a self-paced online course.
c. What are the requirements to enrol in this course?
The Diploma of Community Services (Case Management) will give you the educational requirement to work in community and case management services. There are no formal entry requirements for this course, but students should:
- • Be at least 18 years of age
- • Have sound language and literacy skills (at least Year 10 or equivalent)
- • Have proficient computer skills and access to the Internet
The Diploma course will require you to perform the tasks of a community service and case management worker in the vocational placement.
You will complete the vocational placement in a registered and approved organisation. The vocational placement aims to give you actual work experience.
The vocational placement lasts for a minimum of 100 hours.
Why is having actual work experience important?
- • You will know how to carry out tasks for the role
- • Employers will prioritise you for having actual work experience
- • You will have referrals form the vocational placement
- • It will give you an expanded professional network which will help you pursue roles in community services
You should get the Diploma of Community Services if you wish to migrate and be assessed as a welfare worker in Australia.
Employment for this job role is predicted to grow strongly in the next ten years, according to the Australian Government. Additionally, this job role is in demand all over Australia which means that there are opportunities everywhere.
The career opportunities in this industry are:
- • Community Worker
- • Case Management Worker
- • Family Support Worker
- • Youth Worker
- • Disabilities Services Officer
- • Residential Care Officer
- • Parole or Probation Officer
You can look for employment opportunities in online job boards such as Seek, Gumtree, and Linkedin.
The annual salary of workers in this industry is $72,607.0.
This is about $1,396.00 per week.
What are the responsibilities of a community worker?
Some of the responsibilities of a community worker are:
- • Plan, develop, and implement service programs
- • Assess the needs of clients and the nature and extent of their difficulties
- • Monitor and report on clients’ progress
- • Supervise offenders on probation and parole
- • Assist the youth with social, financial, and emotional problems
What are the skills of a successful community services worker?
- • Communication Skills – This is used to obtain and convey information to clients.
- • Empathy – A successful worker in this industry emphatises with clients and understands their problems.
- • Organization and Coordination – Both are used in the planning, development, and implementation of service programs.
Community workers are highly in-demand now and there are many opportunities for you to work in community services. If you wish to be a community services worker, then you can take the Diploma in Community Services to jump start your career.
The steps to becoming a community worker are:
- 1. Take a Diploma in Community Services with specialisation in Case Management (CHC52015) to get a qualification. The Diploma course is the leading qualification in the industry and it will make you stand-out of the competition.
- 2. Get actual work experience in the vocational placement. This will be important in teaching you the actual duties of a community worker.
- 3. Apply for a community services role. Having a Diploma qualification and working in the vocational placement will attract more opportunities from employers.
The things you need to know about this role are:
- • The weekly income of workers in this industry is $1360.00
- • Their tasks include assessing the needs of clients, creating service programs, and monitoring and reporting the progress of clients. They can also supervise offenders in parole and probation.
- • The important skills of workers in this industry are: communication skills, empathy, and organisation and coordination.
Taking the Diploma in Community Services now will open up many opportunities for you to work in the industry as it is a leading qualification.
If you have any questions about starting your career in this industry, please enquire now by clicking here.
Latest posts by John (see all)
- TAE40116 Online Courses – Where Are They? - August 24, 2017
- TAE40116 Face to Face and Online Courses: What’s the difference? - August 24, 2017
- TAE40110 vs TAE40116 Course Upgrade – Higher Cert IV TAE Requirements? - July 12, 2017